Go Bottom Go Bottom

R1 vs R4 tires

View my Photos
del
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-09-27          8317

Would like to hear from any of you on your comments on R4 vs R1(ag)tires either by post or by direct email to me. Don't have much occasion to be on the pavement, or in real soft (plowed) ground, but sometimes am in the mud. It seems like the R4's give up a lot and would start to spin easily. What are you using your R1 or R4 tires and what's your opinion? My tractor has a loader and backhoe on it 95% of the time. I use it for dragging wrecked cars, pushing stumps around "too-little-for-it" jobs that make the wife glad we have it!Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

R1 vs R4 tires

View my Photos
Randy Eckard

1999-09-27          8319

I bought R4 for my tractor because I use it to mow and for loader work. If I knew I would not be using it on turf I would definately go with ag tires. They get better traction and have deeper lugs. But they will really chew up the turf, even if you are not spinning. ....

R1 vs R4 tires

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-09-27          8322

Del,I would recommend you visit a few tire Manu'f websites, for a better explanation of highs & Lows of the two type tires. Each tire is designed to excel in certain areas. And something very important to remember, as traction increases, available life/wear usually decreases. Naturally the opposite holds true as well. R1s are designed to dig into soft stuff(dirt,mud,ect..)and they wear ok because they operate in a lower friction environment than say....concrete. R4s on the other hand are a kind of compremise for having longer wear for things like turning/operating on paved surfaces with somewhat similiar digging style traction charactoristics as a dirt tire. As far as working in mud, take a look at a back-hoe sitting at a contruction site and decide for yourself. I will admit to hearing that R4s aren't very impressive in snow/ice. But if you normally use chains anyway, this wouldn't be an issue for you:) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login