Go Bottom Go Bottom

Which Tires to buy

View my Photos
Bob Fisher
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-03-24          25817

I am about to purchase a new TC 33D 4 and I am debating wether to get Indudtrial or Ag tires. I have 7A. Tillable mostly clay some clay dirt mix wet. I will be doing some finish mowing also. Is there enough traction with the Industrial tires. I have been told they will clog with mud and not clear as the Ag tires will not clog. Any opinions will be appreciated. Bob

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Which Tires to buy

View my Photos
TomG

2001-03-25          25842

I believe that is true. For traction in dirt, there is really no substitute for ags. By the same token, I don't think that lawns and ag's go together at all, but industrials are tolerable if you don't mind the ride. The best compromise I can think of is to use industrials or turfs and plan to take longer for doing traction intensive jobs. I get by with my turfs by taking smaller bites with ground-engaging implements and piling on ballast weight. However, I'm not tilling sizable areas either. It’s a good argument for two tractors or trading work with a neigbour who has a big tractor with ags. ....

Which Tires to buy

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-03-25          25854

I'm with TomG on this one. Ags are incredibly tough on a lawn, especially if you have to turn! But that is why they are so good in mud and dirt. You can also try chains on R4s to get more traction when you need it. ....

Which Tires to buy

View my Photos
kay

2001-03-25          25857

Regards the R-4's clogging with dirt, I have found that my bar tires on my old tractor hang on to the dirt much more than my R-4's do. I like the way I can go through mud with my R-4's and come out without leaving a trail of mud for the next 100 yards. ....

Which Tires to buy

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-03-25          25858

I like the turf tires for the soft ride, side slope stability, and less of a footprint. Only a few jobs in the summer ever need super traction, and they just take longer. In the winter I run chains.
The only reason I can see to stay away from turfs altogether is if you are in an area where flats are a problem. My turfs don't have the thick skin to turn nails and thorns. About the same as automotive tires. ....

Which Tires to buy

View my Photos
gill barlow

2001-03-25          25870

I too am trying to choose tires...between turf and R4s....my thinking is that chains will be needed at some point and they will work better on turfs than R4s because chains can work their way into the deeper R4 grooves.

IS THIS TRUE?????

gill barlow ....

Which Tires to buy

View my Photos
kay

2001-03-25          25873

I would say "no", it is not true. My chains on R-4's do not work their way between the lugs, and work fine. They are the 'ladder' type. It just seems that they would work this way, but they don't. ....

Which Tires to buy

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-03-25          25874

Gill, my toughest decision when I bought my tractor last year was turfs or R4s. I opted for turfs. They are great on the lawn and terrific in the snow and ice. The only drawback so far is that they tend to flatten out with heavy loads in the loader and I'm worried about punctures like Roger said. So now I'm buying a set of front R4s on their own wheels for when I'm working in the woods or doing a lot of heavy loader work. Front tires are easy to change over when you can use your loader as a jack - 5 minute job. It's the only economical way I could see to get the best of both worlds. If you choose to do this you have to be very careful about getting the right size front tire & wheel if you have 4WD on your tractor due to overspeed considerations. ....

Which Tires to buy

View my Photos
Frank

2001-03-26          25919

I have a TC35D with loaded R-4's and a FEL. In upstate NY in the last 3 weeks we have had a 30 inch and a 23 inch snow storm. Both heavy wet snow. The tires hardly slipped and did a great job for me. I will never need chains.
I have no experience with clay but I do know you can NOT mow your lawn with AG's Frank ....

Which Tires to buy

View my Photos
DPM

2001-04-09          26517

Has anyone used the Bar/Turf tires on a Kubota B7500, or any other tractor for that matter. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login