Go Bottom Go Bottom

Can you figure this one out

View my Photos
JeffM
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-02-21          24495

Ok, I admit up front that I'm stumped and need help. My JD4400 has OEM turf tires (R3) on it. They suit my needs very well EXCEPT for two things: 1) When I'm doing serious work with the loader (earth and rocks) the 4-ply front turf tires flatten out quite a bit. I've got the tire pressure up in them, but they will still pancake enough that it makes me uncomfortable. 2) I will be doing some brush hogging ("rotary cutting" just sounds too weird) this summer and some trail work in the woods. I'm very concerned about stubble punctures, on the front tires especially. My solution is to buy a pair of properly sized R4 industrial front tires on wheels and throw them on when I am in these situations and put the turfs back on for finish mowing and for my winter snow removal. What brand and size of tire will work here? I realize that the problem is match the rolling circumference of the new R4s to the existing Turfs. My existing R3 turfs are Titan Multi Trac CS in size 27x8.50-15 with a 4-ply rating. I can't even find a rolling circumference spec on those tires yet - I'll probably have to do it the old-fashioned way and measure it. I would like to get a 6-ply rating R4 industrial, and I don't much care what brand. I expect that my JD dealer can get the appropriate wheels for me. He is also looking into this tire thing, but I haven't heard back from him yet. Does anybody out there have this bit of expertise up their sleeve?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DanaT

2001-02-21          24497

I had the same problem with a 755 a couple years ago, except I was trying to pull a plow and disc. I found some R-4's the exact size as the turf's. As long as are the exact same size they will work fine. I have a address of a tire company that supplys tires for JD,NH and others for there compact tractors how ever it's at work, so tomarrow I'll post there address and you can go from there. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-02-22          24528

I wouldn't worry about the turf tires flattening out so much. They'll stop squishing out when the rims hit the ground....... :-).
Seriously though, this is typical of turf tires. I've never worried about mine. Sometimes when the loader is full they look like the rims will hit the ground. The only trouble I've ever had was once when the front tires sidewalls were pressed so flat that when I ran over a pointed rock just wrong it caused the tire to be cut against the rim of the wheel - and that was on a 3 rib tractor tire with too little air....not a turf.
I'll put up with the turfs to gain the smoother ride and lesser ground damage.

View my Photos
DanaT

2001-02-22          24529

TRACTOR TIRES
E-mail Address(es):
sales@titan-intl.com ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-02-22          24534

Thanks, Roger, for my morning belly laugh. You must really know your stuff because you're right, they DO stop squishing when the rims hit the ground. And thanks, Dana, for the titan email. I had been to their web site but hadn't thought of emailing them with the problem... pretty obvious, but I still didn't think to do it. Thanks. ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-02-22          24537

Got the answer! Titan R4 Trac-Loader 25x8.50-14 6 ply rating, which is the OEM R4 tire for the 4300/4400, as it turns out. Thanks, Dana, for suggesting emailing Titan. I went one step better and called the Titan Customer Service number (800-219-6239). When that number was busy a couple times I called the Director of Worldwide Agricultural Products at Titan. He got back to me with the answer within 5 minutes. Turns out that the Titan R3 Multi Trac C/S in size 27x8.50-15 has a rolling circumference (RC) of ~79" (depending on inflation), which results in a ~5% overspeed with the OEM rear tires - Titan Multi Trac C/S size 41x14.00-20. Desired front tire overspeed (pulling) on a MFWD is 1-5%, so this is at the high end. The Titan R4 Trac Loader 25x8.50-14 has a RC of ~77", which puts it at 3.5% overspeed... perfect! BTW, the Trac Loader size 27x8.50-15 (same size as the R3 turf) has a RC of ~80", which put the overspeed at ~6% and this could have caused problems down the road. Credit here goes to a very customer-oriented executive at Titan International for giving me the time of day and a quick response. They won another customer! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login