Go Bottom Go Bottom

tire size change

View my Photos
dave piper
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-03-28          14247

will changing my rear tires from 11.2-24 to 12.4-24 create a lead-lag problem. thank you.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

tire size change

View my Photos
Bernie Galgoci
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-04-16          14830

Dave- Well, I can't give you an answer to your question, but I remembered your question when I ran across this information yesterday, so I'll pass it on to you assuming you're still looking for some information and some help. This is from a table of "Basic Dimensions of Some Farm Tractor Tires," all R-1. Loaded radius is defined as "the distance from the ground to the axle center for a tire which is loaded and inflated to recommended pressure." This obviously takes into account the deflection of the tire at the ground, and reflects what the effective circumference of the tire will be as it rolls along the ground. According to the table, an 11.2-24 tire has a loaded radius of 19.0 inches; a 12.4-24 tire has a loaded radius of 20.8 inches. Seems like the 12.4-24 will cover more ground per revolution than the 11.2 will. Whether this is enough of a difference to start giving you a lead-lag problem, I haven't a clue. Interestingly enough, there seems to be only two tire size pairs (within the same rim diameter) which have the same loaded radius. The 13.6-38 and the 15.5-38 (and the pair switch I was interested in for a different reason!) have an identical loaded radius of 28.6 inches. The 9.5-24 and the 11.2-24 have an identical loaded radius of 19.0 inches. I guess if you wanted to change down to 9.5-24's you wouldn't have a problem!! As a general point, the table indicates that changing up or down to the next closest section width within a given rim diameter mostly makes a difference of from 0.3 to 1.5 inches in the loaded radius. Your proposed switch has one of the bigger (although not the biggest) loaded radius jumps. Hope this information helps with your decision. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login