Go Bottom Go Bottom

23 ACRE HORSE OPERATION

View my Photos
sherie2166
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-01          84920

yep, it's another o' those "what size do I need" questions.
I have approx 23 acres only 6 wooded with the rest being open. there are some hills but not severe. I am looking for the right tractor to accomplish the following. Mowing (before horses arrive) field maintenance (after they arrive). barn chores ie. manure removal and spread. Pushing snow on an 800ft driveway. moving dirt and small trees for light landscaping.
I have been leaning toward atleast 30hp, 4x4, hst, but the new price tag has been an issue. Suggestions are appeciated if this is the right area to look and what to look for used.
Help?!?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

23 ACRE HORSE OPERATION

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-02          84935

30 hp sounds small to me for what you are going to need and want to do.

If you want to stay on the small side I'd look at 1 small 30-35 hp and a older larger grunt tractor $5-6,000. The larger one can handle spreader duties, the heavy field mowing, hauling hay etc. ....

23 ACRE HORSE OPERATION

View my Photos
TomG

2004-05-02          84950

It might be difficult to get a good 'one size fits all' tractor if some of the work requires moving big round bales around. Even the larger compacts don't handle the real big ones too well and a large compact likely would be great for some of the barn work. If you're going to buy hay and have it delivered I suppose whether it's a problem or not depends on how big the suppliers in your area make the bales. ....

23 ACRE HORSE OPERATION

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-05-02          84992

Sherie; I was in the livestock business a long time, but never horses, just cattle and hogs so I really don't know a lot about horses, but it seems to me that enough feed is going to be needed and enough manure produced that a front end loader is going to be a must. In a compact that means that 4wd is a must. If you don't mind going with a used unit and can use a gear drive rather than hydro you can probably save enough over a new unit to find an "H" Farmall or a "B" John Deere that are in good enough shape to be dependable and a decent used spreader for 2-3000.00 for the tractor spreader pair. I don't know if you come from a livestock background or not, but most spreaders around here aren't traded or sold till they are junk, so if you aren't knowledgable about them find a friend or relative to go spreader shopping that is familliar with spreaders. Hope this helps, Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login