Go Bottom Go Bottom

Safty Feature for Hydralics

View my Photos
Pete Woodlock
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-08-04          6610

Do tractors have a safty feature to prevent the tractor from breaking if I try to lift something too heavy with my three point hitch or front end loader?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-08-04          6617

Yes, it is a safety valve. Also called a rattle-valve or a pop-off valve. You may hear it when you try to retract or extend the buckettoo far. At high flow rates it will make a loud squealing sound as the valve opens up and a lot of oil is suddenly forced past thea narrow orfice. At low RPM you can sometimes hear the rattle as the ball valve is lifted off of its seat by the oil pressureand then forced closed by the spring many times a second. Doing something to trip the valve for a few seconds won't hurtanything as long as you don't hold it in that position too long. There is one in the three point system and another for the loader. Roger Loving ....

View my Photos
David

1999-08-05          6619

Roger is correct and has described the relief valves correctly. The relief valves only protect the hydraulic system from damage however. The relief valves may not (proably won't) prevent you from picking something so heavy up that it overturns the tractor. The relief valves also will not prevent mechanical damage inflicted on a tractor from use of a loader as a bulldozer. Safety and common sense go a long ways towards preventing accidents and tractor damage. ....

View my Photos
Carl in VA

1999-08-05          6656

One more thing to think about...A friend of mine "broke" his 1710 in half (at the bellhousing) by loading too much stone in the bucket by hand and then striking a ditch a little too hard. The bucket was overloaded because he placed the stones in the bucket by hand, not by filling and lifting the bucket. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login