Go Bottom Go Bottom

Used compact

View my Photos
stank
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-12-31          34153

I am looking to spend around 3000.00, can I get anything with a FEL for that price. I do not see much out there. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Used compact

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-12-31          34154

In '95, I spent 6 months looking for something even in the $5k range (didn't care how old it was if it worked), never found a single one, gave up, and bought new. ....

Used compact

View my Photos
stank

2001-12-31          34157

I am finding some 2wds but they have no FEL. FELs alone are 2-3k so you may be right. It seems like there has to be some out there though, these compacts have been made for so long you would think there would be a couple. ....

Used compact

View my Photos
Roy Jackson

2001-12-31          34158

You may well find a grey market machine in that price range. Just be advised of the parts and service situation.
Personally, I wouldn't buy grey market...

You should be able to find a JD650 in that price range... ....

Used compact

View my Photos
Brent Pepper

2001-12-31          34161

You will be hard pressed to find a tractor with a loader for $3000. Even in the grey market - market. The greys are fine tractors and depending on the brand, parts are not that hard to find. Like someone mentioned in an earlier post, FEL's usually cost anywhere from $2K to $3K. About the least expensive grey market I sell is around $2500 and that is an 18hp 2 wheel drive. Add the loader price to that and you are around $5000. For a tractor that small you really need it to be 4WD to work well with a loader, but that is a can of worms that has been opened here before. Even a JD650 in 4WD with a loader is going for more than that these days. Good luck in your search.

Brent ....

Used compact

View my Photos
Gary in Indiana

2001-12-31          34166

I looked all over for a tractor with a FEL and did find some under $5K and a few under $4K within the last year. You'll be looking at spending money on tires and brakes at minimum when you get into that price range in most cases. I finally stumbled into an estate deal on a 2001 Deere 4200 MFWD w/ FEL (and even a backhoe) and bought it. Good luck with your search. ....

Used compact

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-01          34172

Prices tend to be lower for older farm and utility tractors than compacts. They will be 2wd, have small hydraulic pumps and may be gas rather than diesel. Some may have trip loaders. They are short on maneuverability compared to a compact but better have power and traction. Some don’t have standard category 3ph’s but most older non-standard 3ph’s can be adapted for modern implements.

Parts and service are generally available, but generally a low priced older tractor is going to take a lot of tinkering and possibly some expensive repairs. An older farm tractor might be a bargain for somebody that can do the mechanics and has lots of time, but might be a nightmare for people who can't do the tinkering. a person should count on something breaking sooner than later on a used tractor. It's good to save something for a maintenance budget.

Used compact

View my Photos
Roger L.

2002-01-01          34176

I know exactly how you feel. In the early 1980s I spent a couple of years chasing ads and dealers looking for exactly that kind of deal....Consider that it was years ago, I was willing to go up to nearly $5000, not $3000, and I was not successful. All I had to show for it was a little knowledge and a lot of wear on the 'ol PU. In my opinion you will just waste your time looking for a tractor with a FEL in that price range. As we've mentioned before, tractor prices are pretty stable. They don't seem to have the wide price range that characterizes used cars and other tools.
But there is some good news. You can always add a FEL to a tractor later. Your $3000 will buy you a nice 2wd tractor with enough left over to put a 3 point bucket on the rear. It isn't a FEL, but it can do some of the work of a FEL. If you are willing to look at the grey market machines I think you can take your pick of several nice tractors with standard 3pt hitches in that range. ....

Used compact

View my Photos
stank

2002-01-02          34190

Thanks, all your infomation is very helpful! I have a couple months to look, so I will do what I can. Hopefully I can find something in my price range. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login