Go Bottom Go Bottom

Price check

View my Photos
Bill K
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-07-25          30376

I am looking at a JD 750 w/loader and hoe. It is a 4x4, no power steering, ag tires with 375 hours. The owner says its an '86. I know little about compact tractors, so........ I need help. I tried the machine, it seems to run well and does not look beat at all, the owner says its been garage kept since '89 (he is 2nd owner). He wants $10,500 firm. I am a small contractor looking for something to help me on water lines, septic and small addition foundations. Is this tractor too small ? What about the price ? Thanks for any help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Price check

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2001-07-25          30377

What size/brand of hoe? I've got an '88 with a Woods 650 hoe and a 67 loader. I dig water lines for the local plumber all the time. I think you'd be VERY happy with that machine, as long as you don't need to dig deeper than 5 feet. It's big enough to be efficient, small enough to be manueverable, and it'll run all day on 3 gallons of fuel. Depending on the hoe, the price sounds about right. My local JD dealer offered me $5000 trade in on my tractor and loader with 2000 hours on it. I literally laughed in his face... ....

Price check

View my Photos
Bill K

2001-07-25          30378

Paul, the loader, hoe and tractor were purchased as a unit. The loader i believe is a JD 67 and the hoe a JD 7. The hoe is also frame mounted. The owner has all original manuals (in good condition) and also a 3 point hitch, which is still in its original packing. I hope this message gets thru, I am new at this. ....

Price check

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2001-07-25          30384

Well, the JD hoe has it's plusses and minuses. I like that they're frame mounted, less stress on the tractor. I don't like that they're frame mounted because they're a bear to get on and off. That probably won't be an issue for you, but it is for me as I use my tractor for general farm work. The other issue with the JD hoe is that it uses tractor hydraulics which can lead to a couple of potential problems: The pump on the JD750, while adequate, is somewhat limited and the hoe can be pretty slow; secondly, it uses the transmission sump as a reservoir, and the repeated heating and cooling of the oil (backhoes typically run hot) can lead to condensation and moisture in the sump. Regular checking and replacement of the transmission-hydraulic fluid should prevent any problems, but it's something to be aware of. I think the price is at the high end of the range for that set up, but the low hours are certainly a plus. ....

Price check

View my Photos
Bill K

2001-07-25          30386

Paul, thanks for the info, it really helps. I kinda thought the price was a little high. A friend told me I should be looking at something a little bigger, like a Kubota L35, he said its built strictly for backhoe work. Thanks again. ....

Price check

View my Photos
Jeff Pizzi

2001-07-26          30428

Are you sure it's "frame" mounted? I have a 755 w/ #7 hoe. The hoe is mounted to a sub-frame and go's on/off quite easily. 2 pins up front, 2 in the back and disconnect two hoses. That's it. I can have it off in 5 min and on in 10 (got get the alignment right). I'm not sure of the price. New hoe's seem to start at $6k and go up... Still, you might find the hoe a little small. It won't reach a long way, lots of moving for trenching. ....

Price check

View my Photos
Bill K

2001-07-27          30435

Jeff, I think the hoe mounting is as you say. The owner called it a frame mount and I guess thats why I called it that also. I guess, I thought since it had extra mounting other than the three point hitch, I figured it was a frame mount. I've been thinking about the hoe, and I think it might be a little small also. Thanks for the input. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login