Go Bottom Go Bottom

Know nothing about tractors

View my Photos
Scott Brown
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-06-11          29153

I have horses and am about to retire. I just bought 12 acres of farmland with house and barns. I know nothing about tractors and am not at all mechanical, I just know horses and want to live in the country. I'll need to cut grass, plow snow, maintain a driveway, do some planting, manure spreading, and I'd like to build a quality outdoor arena. I can't afford any of the big three and through this site found out about Kioti. I can get a 35HP 4 wheel drive tractor with trailer, mower, rototiller,box blade,and front end loader for about $16,000 new.Will this do the job? Should I be considering something else? I'm concerned because there are no dealers within a couple of hundred miles of me, and I'm worried about maintenance.I realize how hopeless I must seem, but I'm hoping that someone can help me.The dealer will deliver the unit to my farm and teach me what I need to know to operate it so I'll at least have the basics down. By the way what is a box blade for? I know that I will be advised to spend the extra money to buy one of the big three but I really am cutting finances close with buying the new house and the Kioti and don't want to over extend myself. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
B Calvin Texas

2002-01-30          35078

Personnaly, I would purchase a John Deere but I understand your delema.....I think your HP isn't bad and should be adequate to cut grass and I would guess eventually you will bale hay on your property. That HP will run a small square baler if you are so inclined and you can run a sickle mower and hay rake as well...when the time permits.. That size will run a post hole digger with no proble.
A box blade is just what it sounds like it's a blade shaped like a box and is used to level out high spots on your poperty many times landscapers utilize box blades to level out the seed be for new plantings at house or building construction. Most box blades have retractable teeth on the inside of the blade which allows you to break the soil first and then run the blade to level.
As to your original question I think I would also look at a Massey Furgeson...very good economical tractor with a long heritage in the business and they maintain a large tractor design...weight and heft are keys to making a tractor very productive for the tasks you ask it to do....small light tractors are very manuverable in tight situations and perform many tasks very well but weight and heft are the keys to accomplishing the tasks not necasseraly HP. I have several 1940's50's tractors that have very limited HP but their overall design and weight make them very effective and efficient machines. Any way Good Luck ....

View my Photos
BillBass

2002-01-30          35085

That HP with 4x4 and that equipment will be hard to beat for that price. I don't know anything about Kioti but I have not heard anything bad about them. My only concern would be the distance to a dealer. If you need warranty work, that is a major trip to take the tractor and then go back and pick it up. Same for parts if you need to repair something yourself unless you can find a site to buy parts online. Once it is out of warranty, you can probably find someone local to work on it.
There are a lot of good used tractors out there. You can probably find a comparable one and get the same basic equipment for about the same price. I bought a JD 950 (27 HP) 4x4 with FEL, box blade, and 6' rotary cutter last year for $9500.
You definitely want a front end loader. You will probably find that to be the most useful implement of all. The box blade is handy. I leveled a pad for a pole barn on a gentle slope. With the box and FEL, I cut down about a foot and half on the high side and moved it to the low side to level it out.
Good luck and have fun. ....

View my Photos
Stan Nystrom

2002-01-30          35088

Scott -
Good luck w/ the tractor. The box blade will also help w/ your arena building, and w/ maintaining it after. You may lso want to look at a flexable tine harrow (freust ?). They are great for the arena, and for your pastures. A few hundred for a decent one. Chain link fence is OK for the arena, but the good one will do more. Also, check some of the threds on this site about arenas and drainage - some really good ideas from the group. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login