Go Bottom Go Bottom

Looking for advice on a tractor

View my Photos
Domenico Spinelli
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-04-28          27332

I am looking to buy my first tractor but I'm not sure what to get. The only thing I know is that I want 4-wheel drive. I have 3 acres to mow and about 5 acres of brush hogging with a couple steep hills. I also want to plow snow on my drive and pull small logs and stumps. I will probably add a loader and back hoe in the future. I am thinking a compact tractor but I am not sure. I have looked at a few Kubota's but have been told that I will have to stick with Kubota implements. Is this true and do other makes take various brands of implements? Cost is a factor in my decision and I would like to stay in the $5,000 - $8,000 range. Is this realistic? Thanks for the help!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
JonB

2001-04-29          27335

Domenico, I'm fairly new to owning a compact tractor, and it has changed my life ... er, it has changed my property. I only have two acres, and could barely manage to keep the fields mowed. With my JD 4100, mowing is fun, a fair sized orchard is no problem, along with a vineyard and garden. Keeping up the property is fun instead of a chore. None of this would have been possible with a garden tractor. My neighbor bought a garden tractor for his two acres about six months ago. Yesterday he told me he bought too small and wanted to know everything about my tractor. From your description, I don't think anything less than a compact will do. An old Ford might fit your budget but they do not have the modern safety features, and can't perform like modern compacts. I don't think you can get a compact for $8000, and certainly not one with many implements. A used one might fit your budget. As for Kubota, I understand they take standard implements from any maker. I've heard it's better to get a loader made by the tractor manufacturer but have no experience otherwise. Best of luck. JonB ....

View my Photos
Mark E. Lamprey

2001-04-29          27342

Domenico, I have to second what JonB said. I compact tractor will change your life. You will able to do things that a garden tractor can't even dream about. I to am new (very) to compact tractor ownership, only 2 1/2 months, but I will now never be wothout one. I purchased a 1988 JD 950 T/L/B in great shape for $11,500. I use it to help me in my business maintaining several miles of road and water system in a lakeside development as well as at my house where I only rent. I have found it to be an indispenable machine. It makes work easier and fun. I also don't feel that $8000 is going to buy you alot of tractor espcially if you looking to get implements with it. You may find something in the older used market but it won't have the modern features for ease of use and Safety. Your choices will be the the big 3, John Deere, New Holland and Kubota. There are a lot of Gray tractors out there like Yanmar, Kioti, Nortrac that don't carry quite the price tag that the 3 big ones do, but I understand from what I read here in the board that they are very competant machines. There is also Cub Cadet and and a handful of others. So your world is avast with tractor choices. The nice thing to remember is that even spending more $$ than you would like, that tractor (unlike a car or truck) will last you many many years after it's paid off and as long as it is kept in good condition they hold there value extremely well. Good luck with your shopping and have fun. You won't regret purchasing a compact tractor. Mark ....

View my Photos
Ries Halbauer

2001-04-29          27354

Domenico,
I - to am new to compact tractors and went through the same dilima. Based on what you are looking to spend and based on what I found on the market - pull up www.kioti.com and click on O'Bryan's - they have four package buys that might enterest you. I saw a 20hp with front loader and backhoe and trailer for 10,000. I like all the different brands, but I went with the kioto 3054 as a package. It is a fit for me - FYI - I could not find any used ones and the ones I did find were close to the new prices. Good Luck! ....

View my Photos
Domenico Spinelli

2001-04-29          27366

Thanks for the advice! It appears that a compact is going to make my life easier compared to the 46 inch garden tractor I use now. From the sound of things, I am going to have to break down and spend more money. With that in mind, what are some things I should be looking for (horsepower, transmission, type of tire, etc...)? How big of a mower or brush hog can a compact handle? I have looked into the Kubota's and JD's, but don't know what models to look at in the New Holland or Kioti. Is it safe to go with a used or grey market tractor? Everytime I hear "grey market", I get a bad feeling in my gut. Is there really anything bad about these tractors? Again, thanks for the help. This is really a great site! ....

View my Photos
Mark E. Lamprey

2001-04-30          27369

Domenico, I know very little of the gray market lines, my research before I bought was centered arund the big 3. I would think that the New Holland
TC25(D), TC29(D), TC33(D) would handle what you are looking to do. The TC35(D) is a considerably bigger tractor frame wize ect. The John Deere 790 is quite a little tractor. My brother in law just bought one with loader and backhoe with a mid mount mower to take care of a fairly large estate type property he owns (Alot of mowing) The 790 I believe comes with a mid PTO, unfortunatly it does not come with Hydrostatic drive, or so I have been told. A mid PTO would be a good thing if you want a mid mower, if you want to go with a rear 3 point hitch finish mower you wouldn't need it. My reading and research tells me that these modern compacts can handle good size implements, my limited knowledge prevents me from knowing and saying what size implements a particular tractor can take. There are a lot of experianced and knowledgeable people on this board, I am sure they can and will provide you with helpfull information so you can make a sound decision. Good Luck. Mark ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-04-30          27373

Domenico, there are two markets that may interest you and make it possible to get a compact and implements within your budget. The two are older US compact tractors and the non-US (gray market) tractors. Both have their drawbacks. There are a lot of older US models. Compact diesel 4x4 have been sold in this country for over 25 years. I would stay with Kubota, JD, Yanmar, Ford, and Massey - hope I haven't missed one. Expect that they will have a standard gearshift, a center hump between your feet (no flat platform) and no power steering. Other than that, there is so little difference between those tractors and the new ones today that it makes you wonder if the manufacturers are asleep. (yes, they are) And "Yes", all tractors use the same implements in the same fashion. Anything that will fit on one 3pt will fit on another. Loaders are universal with mounting kits for everything. As far as I know, only mid- mount mowers are specific to any one tractor. Everything else is universal; your Kubota information is wrong. The downside to the older US models is that the nice ones are sold from neighbor to friend, and the ones you most often seen are older rental or commercial units well beat up.
The other option is the gray market. Here you can get a fine tractor for about 1/3 of US price....or you can buy yourself a long-term mechanical project. The gray market tractors are excellent bets for the guys who enjoy mechanical things. A lot of guys who buy them are the sort that tune up their cars on weekends, have at least one old vintage mechanical contraption that they are always modifying, and regard an oil leak as an opportunity rather than a problem. If that describes you, then you probably already know about the grays. I know that there other owners who bought on the gray market, don't know which end of a wrench unscrews the gas cap, and are completely satisfied. That's fine for them, I'd still say it was a bit of a gamble. But then so is any used tractor. Good luck! ....

View my Photos
Mark

2001-05-01          27609

Domenico - I was recently in a situation that sounds similar to yours. I have about 8 acres with some hills and wanted something for all around use. Price was definately a concern. I did a lot of research and concluded that a small compact would be far better in the long run than a lawn and garden tractor. I think it's safe to say that they last longer, and it's definately true that you can do a lot more with them rather than hiring someone to do work for you.
I don't have enolugh experience to have a strong brand preference, but I ended up with a Kubota B7500. The Deere 4100 and NH 21 were, in my novice opinion, very similar; and all of the prices were in the same range. All three had everything I needed and more. I went with the Kubota because I liked the dealer the best and he was the most willing to explain things to me. FYI - price with 5' belly mower, loader, and Land Pride auger was around 15K. I've used it to pull trees, pull a 5' tiller (not a Kubota brand), and level a space for a shed in addition to the usual. I've been very pleased with the B7500 in every way, but I'm sure the green and blue are just as good. Make sure you find a dealer you like. ....

View my Photos
Domenico Spinelli

2001-05-07          27863

Thanks for all the help! I have beenlooking at more tractors and am having more doubts on the size I need. I have looked at the Kubota B7500, B2410, B2710, JD 4100, 4200, 4300, and the NH TC25D and TC29D. I'm not sure what HP I should be looking for to run a 5' bush hog. I am also concerned about stability and do not know if I should go with a heavier or lighter tractor. I have one very steep hill that I will be going up and down (which my father-in-law mows with an 8N) and a hill that I mow every few weeks from side to side. ( I currently mow this hill with my garden tractor but almost had an accident this past weekend.) So, the only thing I do know is that I will probably have to wait 6 months to buy a tractor, but I want to educate myself as much as possible before I spend that kind of money. Thanks again for any input.

View my Photos
JonB

2001-05-08          27869

Domenico, I've one field gully where the slope is too steep for my comfort (don't know the actual grade). I won't mow it sideways, but mow it straight down into the gully, and straight up the other side. No possible roll over this way. It's not so steep to cause any loss of control up or down, and power has never been a problem. I've heard that mowing up and down isn't recommended, but I can't see it any other way in this spot. My 4100 turns a flail mower/shredder instead of the bush hog, and uses all the 16 PTO HP of my 4100. Just another idea to consider. Best of luck. JonB ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-05-08          27884

Domenico, you are wise to be concerned about stability. Those Ford 8Ns are more stable than most compacts. They are heavier, lower, and have a wider wheel width. They also have a lot more of their weight between the rear wheels, which helps.
None of this applies if either tractor has a loader, any tractor with a loader is much less stable than one without it. I'll be interested if anyone agrees with that statement.
On heavier vs lighter, it is more a matter of where the center of gravity is - which no manufacturer seems to publish. Your best bet is to go as wide (and long) of a wheel base as you possibly can. Some compacts have wheels that can be set wider than others. That is something that you definitely want... I'd make that a priority. Turf and industrial tires both feel to me like they have more side stability than Ag tires. Whether this is true or not I don't know.
In general, the larger tractors are more stable than the smaller ones. My own opinion on the 5 foot bush hog is that I'd want PTO 25 hp to swing it in all conditions - and prefer 30. Remember that you still have to have some HP for the tractors motion! ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-05-08          27935

Roger, you say any tractor with a loader is much less stable than one without, and you want to know whether anyone agrees? Of course, we agree.LOL Or did you mean you wanted to know whether anyone DISAGREES?

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-05-08          27942

Dang it Bird, its my keyboard hanging up again.....yep, that's it....must be the keyboard. ....

View my Photos
Eric Peters

2001-05-12          28082

Dom;
It looks like you are getting a lot of press. I guess I can add my 2 cents.
I recently sold a 750 JD 4x with Bush hogg loader, Land Pride finishing mower in good shape and Pitt brush cutter for 8K, 350 hrs. Yes the deals are out there for those that weight.
For hill slopes weight is the key, weight in the tires. Do not over fill leave the weight in the bottom. I had a farm in Kentucky on the hill side and took the 750 over much steeper slopes that the Oliver Super 55 I owed at the time. The Oliver is similar to the Ford but a better tractor for the age.
I know own a JD 955 and a MF 65.
Additionally you will limit your self if you get a tractor with too little HP. Check HD pump power and HP. If you want an all round tractor do not go below ~ 25 hp PTO.
Eric ....

View my Photos
Domenico Spinelli

2001-05-13          28123

Thanks to all of you for the help. I stopped and looked at a couple of tractors this weekend. One was a Ford 1510 for $7,600 (no implements) with 4WD. It had 600 hrs and the owner said it was a 1995 or 1996. He buys and fixes up tractors. It looked like it sat out but otherwise, it didn't look bad. The thing I am not crazy about is that it will only take a 3 pt mower.

I also saw a Western International L2300 22HP 4WD with a 60" 3pt mower. Price was $6,400 and it had 40 hours on it. I have never heard of this tractor but the owner had several of the Western Internationals sitting on his property. The owner wasn't home so I was not able to get anymore information. Can anyone tell me anything about this machine. I know I am better off waiting to get what I need, but I also don't know enough to know a good deal if I see one.

Finally, I am looking for some mechanical advice,as my mechanical abilities are not that great. I have a MTD (Ranch King) garden tractor I use now with an 18 HP Briggs & Stratton engine. Today when I went to mow, I could not get the engine to turn over. I canhear the starter turn and it makes a horrible screech. Any ideas on what it may be before I start tearing it apart?

By the way, this looking for tractor stuff is fun! My 2 1/2 year old son loves tractors and loves it when we go look at tractors. ....

View my Photos
Rick Cosman

2001-05-13          28126

Dom, I'll ask the simple questions first. Was the squeel from the starter or the engine? How long has it been since you started it? Did you check the oil? If it has been setting all winter you should take the spark plug out and put a tiny bit of ATF (auto trans fluid) or Marvel Mystery Oil down the hole to lube the cylinder. Does your engine have a hand crank or rope start option? If so put the above down cylinder and hand crank it, then try starter again. Was the engine running OK when last used? Does it have last seasons gas in it without any stabilizer? Anyway this will help in diagnosing. Rick ....

View my Photos
Domenico Spinelli

2001-05-14          28136

Rick,
I used it the day before to mow and have mowed several times with it this season. I checked the oil and it was okay. The oild gets changed regularly, as does the air filter. I also use the tractor during the winter to push snow or pull a small yard trailer with fire wood, so it doesn't really sit much. The noise came from the starter (it sounded like it at least). It did let out a little puff of smoke, so I didn't try it anymore because I was afraid of doing more damage. I don't have the option to use a rope to start it.
I hope this is info will help you point me in the right direction. Thanks, Dom. ....

View my Photos
Rick Cosman

2001-05-14          28159

Most likely: starter, solenoid. You should be able to remove starter with two bolts. It is not difficult. Disconnect battery before.In fact disconnect battery now for safety.Or if you have trailer take whole unit in for test at any auto shop or auto elect. shop depending on how big a city you live in. If its the starter they will rebuild it cheaply if you have removed it. It could also be a voltage regulator but next step is to have it tested. Rick ....

View my Photos
JonB

2001-05-15          28184

Dom, another suggestion. Some of the tractor supply houses sell toy tractors (riding size) that should be perfect for your son. Get him one for Christmas. He'll love riding it while you're riding yours. Just remember to keep him back from the real thing when you're operating it. JonB ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login