Go Bottom Go Bottom

New vs Used

View my Photos
Roger L.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-12-24          22791

On another thread I ran across Jeff and Norm debating the virtues of new vs used tractors. The point was made that good condition used compacts were priced close to the same dollar as new ones. Now I'm curious....If the price is that close, who buys the used ones? Are low hour used ones more reliable than new? Is there really anyone out there who would rather have a used machine at 10% off rather than a new one?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New vs Used

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-12-25          22794

No, 10% doesn't seem like much of a discount. I'd expect that level of discount from a dealer just to make a deal on new equipment. Myself, I got a 500 hour Ford tractor & new implements for about 50% of a similar new JD package. However, the JD package would have given me HST and JD implements (as well as a front axle that had to be replaced). My implements aren't NH, but then they work and I haven't broken anything. I have put around $2,000 maintenance into the tractor, but I figure I'm still well ahead. I think that dealers may offer better deals on used tractors if they can sell some implements as well, but it does take time to find a good deal. ....

New vs Used

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-26          22828

Roger if it was only a 10% discount off retail than I guess no one would buy a used one because I give better discounts on the new than the 10% off and I believe that most dealers are in the same boat as I except for a few. Often time a late model used is only 10% of the new discounted price and yes at that it can be tougher to decide. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login