Go Bottom Go Bottom

which used tractor to buy

View my Photos
Brian Heskitt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-06-05          16907

Please help choose from the following options: Kubota L275, 4WD, power steer, 2000 hrs, old used 5' mower (3pt mount), $7250. Ford 1510, 4WD, power steer, no implements, $6900. International 234, 4WD, meter says 760 hrs, if true they were hard hours, $3150. I have 5 acres to mow/bush hog, snow to plow, and a garden to take care of. My father-in-law has a 2 bottom plow and disk for his 8N that I can borrow, so I want to be able to use those. I was told the international is 18hp (is this true?), so would it handle those implements. I know conventional wisdom says buy the most size/Hp that I can afford, but if the international would do the job, I hate to throw $4000 away. The other issue is dependability. I don't want to spend much time/money keeping a tractor running. I don't have an exact age for any of these machines, but I would guess the international is a bit older than the others.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-06-05          16908

Brian, click on the link below and look up the 3 tractors and their specs there. I can't vouch for the accuracy of their information, but there's a lot there. They indicate the L275 was made from '81-85, 23 PTO hp, the 1510 from '83-86, 20 PTO hp, and the 234 from '82-84 with 18 engine hp (PTO hp would be less). As to which one's the best buy, I don't know. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
TomG

2000-06-06          16936

I don't think the 8N has a 3PH. Maybe somebody knows if implements used on 8N's can be mounted on a CAT 1 3PH. ....

View my Photos
dave piper

2000-06-06          16953

TomG. Ford 8N has 3PT hitch but the pins are smaller than present day Cat 1. Implements can be modified to work on them. All the systems in use today from Cat 1 to Cat 4 are the result of Henry Ferguson's invention which he licensed to Henry Ford. It is still often referred to as "The Ferguson System" . ....

View my Photos
TomG

2000-06-07          16976

Thanks. Guess that's the distinction I didn't know. 8N's have a 3ph but not a Cat 1 3ph. Sounds like many Cat 1 implements might work with a little adaptation, especially if the lower link pins are replaceable. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login