Go Bottom Go Bottom

Skid Steer or Small Tractor

View my Photos
Mike Pirotte
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-01-10          11833

I am trying to decide weather to get a Bobcat 773 or a small tractor (i.e. JD 4400 - 4600). Generally mowing is not an issue and it seems that there are many attachments for both. I am trying to find out what the plus or minuses are between the two.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chris in IN

2000-01-10          11836

Mike having grown up on a farm & working in the construction business for the past 25 years I have seen a lot of skid loaders used although it was always on concrete, dirt or in livestock yards. So having recently purchased some acreage my son borrowed a skid loader from a friend to move some mulch. The first time he made a turn in the grass and left a scuff marks that that look like hogs had been rooting in the pasture I decided this was not for me. So soon after that experience I purchased a JD 4400 & 430 loader. I like it much better than the skid loader. It just depends what you want to use it for & were you are going to use it. Chris

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-01-11          11842

True, There many attachments for both, but there are a couple differences in the attachments. The skid steer attachments will be more exspensive & less readably available used. Powered attachments will have to be hydraulically driven, which will require more hp than pto driven. If you are looking at used & repairs down the road, the compact is generally easier to work on. For moving materials & in tight places the skid steer is great. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-01-11          11844

The 3pt hitch is what a tractor is all about. Now I've seen 3pt kits for skidsteers, but not very often. Years ago when building a set of corrals, a buddy and I rented a skid steer and borrowed a compact tractor for a weekend. So we had both of them to compare. The skid steer was way more fun to use. On anything except the smoothest concrete it is a lot like a ride at the amusement park.....after half an hour of use in the pasture the driver would emerge from the cage staggering and laughing and with ears ringing from the roar of the engine.
Its easy to see why the construction equipment companies sponsor a Bobcat Rodeo, and the best the tractor guys can counter with is a "pull"... Boring...
My buddy and I both bought tractors after that. They make more sense, are lots more useful, safer, and are almost as much fun. But I won't forget that skidsteer... ....

View my Photos
By the Brook Farm

2000-01-11          11846

I was also considering a skid steer but went with a tractor for several reasons. First was resale, around here (Maine) a clean used tractor is an easier sell than a skid steer, simply because the potential customer base is much larger. Tractors (especially green ones) look great sitting in a barn. A tractor can do more than a skid steer and the attachements are easier to find. Bought a JD4600 w460 loader and 48 backhoe for lot clearing, foundation digging, stumping, installing a septic system and cutting in trails and a driveway. One heck of a machine that I use hard every weekend. You might look at the new Advantage Series tractors from JD, they are full sized utility tractors (5105) that cost the same or less than a 4600. I would have bought one of those if they were available last summer. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login