Go Bottom Go Bottom

BX vs TZ question

View my Photos
midlf47
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-18          108293

We now have 21 acres in the country. Moved from a 50'X150' city lot. Needless to say our equipment needs are a bit different. My 30 year old 18" push mower and 7-24" snowblower are just not gonna cut it here. We have 6 acres of yard, buildings, driveways. 6 acres of pasture. The rest is wetlands or woods about 1/2 and 1/2. We do not plan to have horses but may have other smaller animals. We have a need for lawn mowing, about 3-4 acres. Pasture maintenance, rough mowing kind of thing. Wood land maintenance consisting of hauling wood out and brushing as well as path maintenance. Snow removal for 800' of driveways will primarily be handled by the F-250 4X4 with plow but we need to do trimming and pile removal as well as close to the building work. Gravel drive maintenance is also needed. Doing some rough cutting and clearing in the wetlands when it is completely frozen is also a possibility. The area is Wisconsin's kettle moraine and is quite hilly for the yard, pasture, and woods.

With spacing on the trees, for maneuverability and in consideration of the mowing we have pretty much decided a subCUT is the best option. For equipment we are leaning toroids a FEL for the snow and wood operations, MMM for the mowing, box blade for the drive maintenance, small utility trailer for everything. Don't need a BH enough to justify the $$ and I can rent when I need it for a lot less.

So far we have looked at the NH TZ25 and the Kubota BX2230 and are having a tough time deciding between the two. I would appreciate any comments on one over the other. Also are there any others we should look at? Any comments on equipment selection? The previous owner had a Kubota B6200 and felt it was ideal for the property (they also had horses). I'm not familiar with the B6200 and how it would compare to the BX or TZ so any comments on that would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

BX vs TZ question

View my Photos
jtfirth
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-19          108315

midlf47, if you've narrowed it down to the TZ25 and BX2230 then you're comparing "apples to apples". I did the same last fall and opted for the TZ24DA with essentially the same options you're looking at. Many will tell you to try both tractors before buying and you'll know which one suits you best. I just couldn't get used to the treadle pedal HST on the Kubota and preferred the 2-pedal system used by NH. The biggest factor in my decision was the dealer.

Good luck shopping! ....

BX vs TZ question

View my Photos
funchy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-19          108319

Definitely test drive both.I looked at the JD,NH,& Kubota before getting my bx23.I chose the kubota for 3 reasons: designed for a backhoe (something the NH couldn't do without removing the MMM), value for my$, and financing (kubota was 0% compared to 8%+). My Kubota dealer also gave me a longer warranty.

A BH does come in handy more than you think. I clear land & remove stumps. I landscape and plant trees. I about to add livestock waterers, underground water and electric in the horse shed. I can do it all myself and at my pace.

There are aftermarket 3pt BH's you could get later, but be aware unless you add proper frame bracing you risk damaging your tractor. Some CUTs just aren't really designed for having a BH attached. ....

BX vs TZ question

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-19          108324

Hi
midlf47

Another tractor you should try out is the MF 2300 and the 2310.

Try them all out.
Pick the tractor and the dealer that fits you best.

BX vs TZ question

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-03-19          108331

Being a BX2230 owner, far be it from me to discourage one of these, BUT, I think that maybe you should look at a "B" series tractor and its competitors (B7xxx, TC24, JD4410, etc.). With the size property you have (21 acres) and the type of rough work you are looking to do, a larger chassis tractor may suit you better in the long run. These tractors are nearly the same $ as the BX, too.

I love my BX, but I don't think it will do real great in the woods or brush hogging, because of the lack of ground clearance. My 2230 has plenty of HP to do nearly anything, but the chassis size is the limiting factor. ....

BX vs TZ question

View my Photos
Art White

2005-03-20          108376

The B-series is an old model Kubota from the 80's. Thefull size B-s's are more of an exact match but there isn't much difference beteen the BX and the B's for horsepower or many of the attachments. ....

BX vs TZ question

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-03-20          108399

Art, these are what I mean for "B" series. ....

Link:   B-Series

BX vs TZ question

View my Photos
Art White

2005-03-20          108413

I was refering to the property, there was a B-6200 which would be the B-7410 today. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login