Go Bottom Go Bottom

Home made cab

View my Photos
Dana Trumpp
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-22          47965

Well I made this cab for my JD 4400. If the link works you should be able to see the pics.

Link:   4400 Tractor Cab

Picture Link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Home made cab

View my Photos
Dana Trumpp

2003-01-22          47968

I used 1" x 2" x 1/8" tubing for the frame work. 1/8" sheet metal for the roof (it don't rattle). All the glass is 3/16 tempered & glued in there frames. lockable door handles. Foam weather strip to lock out cold air & protect my green paint. I had a local bodyshop paint it & a man install the glass. I have not got all the bills in yet so I don't know the total $ yet.
DDT ....

Home made cab

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-01-23          47983

Dana, that's a neat looking cab. If it's any of our business, how much time and money were involved? I don't remember seeing your ROPS bar in the picture, but by the looks of your frame structure it's probably strong enough to replace it. The type of glass you used is I'm sure a good part of the strength of the cab too. We use tempered 1/4 inch glass in door frames at the furniture plant, and I've allways been amazed at how strong it is. Keep up the good work. ....

Home made cab

View my Photos
Dana Trumpp

2003-01-23          47996

I have about 30 building hours in it. With the curves I had to build it on the tractor, I used fire blankets to keep the sparks off the tractor. Since I had to plan to build off of I have about 120 thinking hours on it. I took the top of the rops off, I used the pin holes to bolt the back of the cab to rops. I think my cab is at least as strong as the rops but would not bet my life on either one.I don't have all the bills in yet for material. ....

Home made cab

View my Photos
Dana Trumpp

2003-01-30          48434

I think I have all the bills in.
steel $265.00
wiper $204.12
glass,ect $365.63
foam for doors, fenders ect $24.47
foam for ceiling $51.23
marker lights,swiches, wire handles ect $176.96
a grand total $1087.41
I need to put the BH on for the weekend so I will see how compateable they are.
I'm glad brother has problems- I get to hoe around on Sat.

Home made cab

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-02-01          48526

Dana, You'd have a hard time buying anything of the quality you built for under 1,100. I too have allways enjoyed building things, I've built a 3 pt. hitch seventy gallon sprayer with a ten ft. foldable boom for the 4300. I use it to clean up field corners and tight spots that the big commercial field sprayers can't get to, plus we went from a lawn of solid dandelions to almost none for about 2 bucks worth of 2-4-D. I gave 5 bucks for the tank at an aucion and about $75.00 for a pto roller pump and the frame is mostly wood from home sawn lumber, but it works fine. I'm ccurrently working on a side mount rotary mower for trimming up ditch banks while keeping the tractor level for safety and comfort. The only way to find out if something works is to build one and try it out. We won't talk about the things out back that did'nt work. Again, a nice job. ....

Home made cab

View my Photos
JonB

2003-02-02          48530

Dana, that's a great looking cab! I'm guessing you can't wait for a good night's snow to plow! Nice pictures too!
-JonB ....

Home made cab

View my Photos
Dana Trumpp

2003-02-02          48556

Hardwood, I also have a project that did not work, I know the feeling. It is normally cheaper to build your equipment. I built a 1 row planter for sweet corn 2 years ago, I put a grand in it before I was done. that is alot for a 1 row but it don't skip like the old dempster did.
Yes Jon I am waiting (praying) for more snow. I can't wait to see how warm ity will be. ....

Home made cab

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-03          48565

Dana: That sure is good looking work. I couldn't tell from the pics how the floor plates were done. That seems to be a difficult thing to do and many earlier cabs didn't bother with them. I don't know if it has or will need a defroster front and rear but you might say when you get some cold-weather experience. I'll be thinking of you the next time I'm playing the abominable snow-man after using my blower.

Hardwood: some years ago I saw a contractor working for a neighbouring township trimming and cutting brush along a road. They had something mounted on maybe a 5-ton truck that looked like a giant weed-eater on articulated arms. The operator would sweep back and forth and up and down as far as maybe 20' from the truck and was whacking brush, limbs and sizable saplings. A pretty amazing gadget. Something like that scaled down for a compact might be a beamer of a
trimmer, but it'd have to be scaled down a lot. Even on a truck that size, they still had big counter-weights on the other side of the truck.

Home made cab

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-02-03          48568

Tom, the county road dept. here has one of those on a good sized tractor with lots of counterweights and it does an amazing job of cleaning up brush. I've did quite a bit of research on the weight of different brands of small rotary cutters, and decided that most of them would simply be to heavy for the frame of a compact to suport with that much leverage out to the right side. Really all I'm trying to do is mow grass on the slopes, not clear brush, so I got hold of a used mid mount mower deck from a JD 400 series lawn tractor, I really haven't weighed it, but I doubt it weighs 200 lbs. I don't have a heated farm shop, so It'll be a while before I get started on it, in the meantime any ideas or experience with something like this would be welcome. ....

Home made cab

View my Photos
Dana Trumpp

2003-02-03          48625

Tom,
I never thought about a pic on the inside. I just set the cab frame on the platform with the stock thick rubber floor mat between the frame & the plateform. it gives a tight seal. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login