Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tire chains

View my Photos
Bruce Nicholas
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-04-22          27078

I have a TC21d with turf tire, which do fine for mowing, but when I need to pull a box blade or middle buster, I don't have enough traction. I was wondering if tire chains would help in dirt. We don't have snow where I live, so they would only be used for dirt. Is anyone doing this?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tire chains

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-04-22          27084

There isn't much dirt here in the Rocky Mountains. What we have is granite outcrops and and a sort of coarse sand made up of disintigrating granite (called DG). The sand doesn't have good traction and rocks can cut the tires, so I commonly use a set of light chains (made from automotive chains)to increase the traction and protect the tires. Turfs don't have tall thread to hide the chain, so these chains are a parallel ladder type rather than an X like must be used on Ag tires. The downside is that the tractor rides bumpy on hard pack. That is why the chains themselves have a lot of parallel and why they are fairly light chain. Why have turf tires in the first place? I like them for the soft ride, lower center of gravity, and because they don't leave such a footprint behind. ....

Tire chains

View my Photos
kay

2001-04-22          27090

With all due respect to Roger, I must disagree. From many years of experience, ladder chains are okay and work fine for ag tire treads. True, some of the cross chains may occasionally fall between the lugs, but they also fall out when going over the top, and land between the ground and the top of the lugs. If the chains are cinched up extra tight (some inflate the tire after the chains are put on), such that the cross chains cannot move, then they are on wrong, and possibly might stay in between the lugs. Hope this helps understand tire chains. ....

Tire chains

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-04-22          27093

There sure are a lot of diverse opinions on something as simple as chains. And I've noticed that when one combines Ag tires with chains the results are even more variable. ....

Tire chains

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-04-23          27107

Bruce. Yup chains will help with your traction and help prevent your tires from getting cut up. However how small or big are your implements? As I recall a middle buster is pretty much a standard size and it might be just a triffle big for a 21 and you may have to back down your expectations a little. Smaller bites more time. A 4' box with 3-4 shanks/scarfers (whatever) down at full lenght might be a bit much try 1-2 and make more passes. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login