Go Bottom Go Bottom

4100 HST gear engagement

View my Photos
Bob Cambray
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-02-04          23941

I find the gear lever engagement very difficult at times to go from neutral to either low or high range. Anybody out there with a 4100 encountering the same problem.Appreciate any informationBobc

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

4100 HST gear engagement

View my Photos
JonB

2001-02-05          23949

Bobc, sometimes my 4100 shifter seems stuck too. I just lightly press the HST right foot pedal about 1/2 an inch, more or less, and release. This starts something moving and the shifter drops into place easily, whether hi or lo. There is no lurch as I'm careful not to have just barely pushed the foot pedal and I never do this with the engine roaring. Since the HST supposedly does not have gears, this shouldn't be helping "gears" to mesh, but that's what I picture in my mind. It reminds me of shifting my VW bug into first gear 20 years ago. Hope this helps. Best of luck. JonB ....

4100 HST gear engagement

View my Photos
TomG

2001-02-05          23955

I think the HST is a hydraulic engine, but the range section is gears on most HST tractors. Most range TX sections also aren't syncromesh, which is why engaging a range can be difficult and why the tractor should be at full stop when changing ranges. Without knowing much about HST's I'd guess that the range section is driven by the hydraulic engine, so a little HST pedal changes the gear alignments and can allow a range to engage more easily. I similarly have to tickle my ranges with the clutch on my gear tractor sometimes. ....

4100 HST gear engagement

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-02-05          23957

That's right, TomG, it's getting the gears to mesh at that point, even on an HST. ....

4100 HST gear engagement

View my Photos
Eric D.

2001-02-05          23973

Bob, I have the same problem shifting my HST into High or Low Range. I ask my dealer if this could be adjusted and he said it wasn't possible. I simply do what everyone else is doing by simply pushing on the hydro pedal just alittle and it slides right in. It's actually no big deal.
Eric ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login