Go Bottom Go Bottom

Has anyone used propane injection on a diesel

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-09-22          145974

I've seen propane injection systems for diesels for sale on the Web. Never seen one or knew someone that has tried it. Any experience out there?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
mobilus
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-09-22          145977

I don't, but I saw an interesting article in the current issue of FARM SHOW magazine. An Alberta company, HyPower Fuel, is working on a project that will inject hydrogen into the combustion chamber along with diesel fuel. The hydrogen generator is on-board the tractor or semi. Sounds promising, but they keep hitting roadblocks such as the reformulation of diesel and addition of exhaust gas re-circulation, the article says.

I guess the result sought by adding propane would be somewhat similar, to create a hotter detonation, thereby increasing power? ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-09-22          145978

EW; No, never owned one but was around them some. It was kind of a late 60's early 70's thing that was kind of a flash in the pan. As I remember the ability to control the correct amount of propane and the proper time to inject it into the airstream was tne biggest problem. In those days all the controls were mechanical so failure and fine truning was a problem. This was in the era of the M and W Gear Co. Gibson City, Ill. selling turbo kits for 4020's faster than they could build them, but they had problems too, like more heat than the cooling system was designed to handle, oil temp's too high, etc. Maybe it's time to try it again only todays electronics could likely give more precise metering than was mechanicaly possible. Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login