Why is it called a rockshaft?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Novice Question

View my Photos
Larry in MI.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-02-14          12792

Novice answer:

I think it is called a rockershaft or camshaft. In my mind camshaft is a more fitting description. I'm not sure where the name rockershaft came from, probably from the motion caused when the lobes on the shaft cause the lifters to rise and fall. From practical experience a cam is an off-center rotating device used to move another device in a non-linear fashion. I may be totally wrong on this but it does seem that years ago I heard people using the term rockershaft and it was the same device that was later referred to as a camshaft. I am certain someone will correct me if I am too far off in my explanation. ....

Novice Question

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-02-14          12794

Doug;
I think you're ref. to the lever that lifts the 3pth, if you are it is just that, to lift the attachment up and over rocks. If you were mowing a field with a bush-hog (rotory mower) and you drove over a rock you would pull the lever back to raise the mower so it wouldn't hit. Or if you were plowing the turf and came onto a rock you would do the same thing.

David ....

Novice Question

View my Photos
TomG

2000-02-15          12811

There is a part on most engines called a rockerarm shaft. The shaft provides mounting above the head for rocker arms. The cam shaft pushes on push rods which push on rocker arms which push on valve stems.

Never heard of 'rock shaft' myself, but there's all sorts of ways to call things here and there. ....

Novice Question

View my Photos
Doug Huebner

2000-02-15          12816

I think David [dsg] has it. It is something about the 3pt and is mentioned in the JD manual as well as other places. I thought it a strange term and was not sure where it came from or where, but David's answer seems to make sense. Thanks. ....

Novice Question

View my Photos
Jack in IL

2000-02-15          12817

The term "rockshaft" refers to the hydraulically driven shaft with arms rigidly attached to each end on a 3 point hitch. Lift links connect the rockshaft arms to the draft links to which the implement is attached. The top link in the middle connects the tractor to the implement mast to complete the linkage. When the hydraulic valve is actuated to lift the implement, the rockshaft rotates a portion of a full turn--usually around 90 degrees. Hence the term "rockshaft." The shaft rocks back and forth to lower or raise--it never makes a complete revolution.

Rocker arms in valve trains similarly "rock" back and forth. ....

Novice Question

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-02-15          12820

Jack has it right. The rock shaft is the shaft that pivots. Furgeson invented the 3 point system in the 30's. The Ford Ferguson 9n was the first tractor to use it. I assume it was patented, because other manufactures didn't start using it till the 60's. They had variations that used a rockshaft. IH & Allis had 2 point lifts. Deere had a rock shaft you fastened mounted equipment to to lift. it ....

Novice Question

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2000-02-15          12838

Thus the reason for my "Novice Answer" disclaimer. I learned something about rockshafts. If I was looking for a knowledgable rep. for my tractor co., Jack in Il. would be my first draft pick. Unfortunately I don't own a tractor co. so keep your day job Jack unless you get a better offer. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login