Go Bottom Go Bottom

Loader arm ram problems

View my Photos
Cutnfill
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-20          80488

I am having a problem with my 80 series loader on my John Deere 850 loader. The loader rams will only raise so far then they stop about headlight height. If you continue to hold the lever they will raise slowly to full height. They lower just fine, sometimes they raise back to original height and sometimes back to the headlight height again. The bucket rams work fine and will lift the front end of the tractor off the ground. The 3 point is working fine. There were no leaks or indication of any problem, it started this morning when I fired up the tractor. Looking for a little input

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Loader arm ram problems

View my Photos
loghouse95

2004-03-20          80492

Is it making any noise??? You probably already did this but have you checked your fluid level ....

Loader arm ram problems

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-03-20          80496

What has your outdoor temprature been there. I have known of the fluid to carry enough free water with it after spring warmup to clog the super fine metal pump intake screen. If you've changed your fluid and filters lately then that likely isn't the problem, but it does sound like something is starving your pump after a certian time interval of operation. Likely the 3pt. ram doesn't require near as much fluid as the loader rams, so it would raise the 3pt. before iceing or watering over of the screen would occur. lots of other possibilitys here like a partly stuck relief valve, an air leak into the line on the suction side of the pump? Just thought I'd throw out some things I've saw happen. Best of luck, Frank. ....

Loader arm ram problems

View my Photos
Cutnfill

2004-03-20          80504

Thank for responding guys. Fluid levels are fine and I have changed oil and filter less than 30 hours ago. Only noise is typical end of travel noise when arms reach free travel height. I have used the tractor all through the winter. There still could be some water in there somehow. I was leaning toward the relief valve. ....

Loader arm ram problems

View my Photos
loghouse95

2004-03-20          80512

are you using a joy stick control.... the spring in the detent might be sticking ....

Loader arm ram problems

View my Photos
Cutnfill

2004-03-20          80514

Nope, two lever ....

Loader arm ram problems

View my Photos
TomG

2004-03-21          80547

I wonder if the bucket has a fairly heavy load? I was thinking about it only rising to head-light height and that position would be nearly horizontal and would be the point of max load on the system. Marginal seals, control valves or the relief valve could be letting go at that point. I also wonder if the bucket leaks down quickly if it's left raised.

The fact that the bucket circuit works normally and I imagine the 3ph as well, suggests the pump and system relief are OK. One thing you might do if the cylinder hoses are connected by quick-connects is swap the bucket and lift hoses. If the problem moves then it's likely the valve. To disconnect hose or any fittings, the tractor should be off, everything on the ground and the pressures relieved. There is some other safety stuff to observe.

The cylinder seals could be tested when the hoses are off. The lift hose could be connected and the bucket locked down. Then, the lower hose quick-connect could be opened or removed. Operating the lift would place full system pressure on the cylinder. If it leaks oil will come out of the lower hose. ....

Loader arm ram problems

View my Photos
Cutnfill

2004-03-21          80553

Tom, the problem occurs with no load at all in bucket. The arms did creep down a little with a full load in the bucket when at low idle. I was going to check the screen on the pump just for the heck of it. This was a used unit that I picked up and even though I changed the hydro oil and filter maybe a look to see how clean it is wouldn't hurt. I did have the bucket controls redone about 30 working hours ago because of a broken seal. The unit has 1600 hrs on it so the seals in the rams could also need replacing. The funny thing is this unit is the tightest non leaking tractor I have ever owned. Only an ocasional spot of oil on the floor or anywhere. ....

Loader arm ram problems

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-21          80561

I'm gonna stretch a little here. Have you looked for a bend cylinder rod/s? Raise it all the way up and look really hard at both of them.

Loader arm ram problems

View my Photos
TomG

2004-03-21          80564

Sounds like it might take a bit of time to get all the pieces of the puzzle together and figure it out. I wonder if the lift has normal power and speed up to the point where it craps out? I'm thinking the solution may come from reasoning why it craps out almost always at the same point and why it happens with and without a load in the bucket.

I think I'd verify that the arms aren't binding above the headlight level or a hose isn't getting pinched. If so a relief should be opening and a squeal could be heard. Failed reliefs don't always squeal since little it takes high pressures. The trouble with explanations like intermittent reliefs, obstructions, failed quick connectors, fluid and suction side explanations is that the problem isn't likely be at the same place or at widely different loads. I'm making an assumption that the lift cylinders are conventional because there are some specialty features such as pilot operated checks that could do it. I'll stop now before my thinking get any more obscure. ....

Loader arm ram problems

View my Photos
Cutnfill

2004-03-21          80584

THANKS GUYS,problem solved. I had a bad but not lreaking quick connect coupling. Replaced it and everyting is working fine. I am new to this conpact tractor stuff. I have never had one go bad on a industrial size loader or skid steer so I would have never thought of that problem being that the problem. ....

Loader arm ram problems

View my Photos
TomG

2004-03-22          80684

Sounds like the pieces came together and that's good. Hope something here triggered your thinking.

The connector must have been acting like a check valve. A cylinder can't move much if either hose is blocked. The several times I haven't seated a quick-connect the bucket would sort of jump one way and do nothing the other. One hose would end up pressurized of course that would be the one I'd take off trying to figure it out. Well, most people know about the aggravations of trying to reconnect an ordinary quick-connect when a hose is pressurized. I've had my share.

It's a bit strange that the loader always stopped in the same place. Strange or not, I've learned to take my solutions where I find them and not worry much about the why for's. ....

Loader arm ram problems

View my Photos
MrSolutions

2004-03-23          80802

Your loader quick disconnects are loose. Disconnect and reseat your quick disconnects and the problem should go away. The fact that you can slowly raise your loader points to an internal leak in the cylinders.

This is a pretty common problem. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login