Go Bottom Go Bottom

Leaky cylinder on770A

View my Photos
ferdman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-09-24          42877

I have a leaking cyl. on my fel it's a ford model 770a the actuator is the one that raises the bucket. The dealer quoated me about $150.00 U.S. to do the work, or I can get a rebuild kit for $45.00 and try it myself.Can anyone give me a clue on how it comes apart? The only thing I see are some wrench flats on the end cap and some sort of cutout that could be part of a locking feature.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Leaky cylinder on770A

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-09-25          42882

There are two fairly recent discussions on the subject, but I don't recall on which loaders. Both owners had trouble getting the shaft out of the cylinder and I think each ended up taking the cylinder to a dealer. Dealer shops have special tools that make many jobs easier. I think it was Art that said that common snap ring pliers work most times.

I haven't had a cylinder apart (my Ford just keeps working) but I believe that you were looking at a cylinder end cap. The visible seal around the shaft is more like a wiper and the actual oil seal is further inside. I seem to recall that some cylinders have packing inside the end cap, and tightening the cap can reduce minor seepage around the shaft seal. I'm not certain about this though.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login