Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 40 Loader

View my Photos
Don Munroe
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-09-08          42147

I have a JD 40 loader on my JD455. It is rated for 350 lbs of lift. This is what JD says is a safe weight without using ballast. I use a weight box with it and would like to know if anyone knows any tricks to up the capacity at all. I was told that JD removes your original hyd relief valve iand nstalls a 350 lb pressure relief valve when you have them install the bucket. I put my original valve back but it made no difference. Any ideas ?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 40 Loader

View my Photos
TomG

2002-09-09          42175

Defeating design gets tricky and creates safety issues and doing such shouldn't be recommended by anybody. A ballast box may improve balance but does little for side-hill stability. The idea of defeating the design contains an assumption that the loader frame and tractor mounts are capable of higher duty. Maybe, but few people probably know for sure.

In terms of the hydraulics, the question is whether it's a relief valve that is limiting the capacity. Many tractors have relief valves both in a system manifold and in a loader valve assembly and 3ph's. I don't know 455's and don't know if the valve replaced is the loader or other valve assembly.

On most tractors, you can hear the relief valve open when the hydraulics stall. If the valve can't be heard, then maybe something else limits the capacity. For example, pumps move less volume as the system pressure increases. A small pump with fairly low volumetric efficiency may simply not noticeably move a loader at low engine rpm, but the relief valve wouldn't open. Increase the rpm and maybe it's will move unless the load is heavy enough to develop enough pressure to open the relief valve.

If you're interested in pursuing the subject, I'd check the specs for the system hydraulic pressure and the relief pressure. A $10 valve and fittings would enable pressure testing on most tractors.

JD 40 Loader

View my Photos
Deere Guy2

2002-09-10          42218

The hydro valve in the rear end is changed to protect the transmission from shock loads when using the loader. It has nothing to do with the implement pressure that is set at 1000 psi for your machine. There is only one way to increase the lifting capacity of your loader, which is to replace the 1.5” cylinders with 2”. This will increase your capacity to approximately 500 lbs. Do yourself a favor and put the loader valve back in the transmission, if your cook the rear end it can get expensive. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login