Go Bottom Go Bottom

More lift

View my Photos
68eb429
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-02-23          106680

I am the proud owner of a 2004 jd2210 with a FEL, 54"MMM,and ballest box. Nothing but good things to say about it.However i am thinking of adding some attachments and im plaged with a couple of questions,1) is there any way to increase the lifting power of the FEL? ie pistons or valve blow off.2)Is the pump big enough for a micro hoe or simular to that of psimone?3)and lastly will i be able to pull a harrow with the 2210?
Nate

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

More lift

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-23          106685

In general, yes you can increase capacities. But the trade off may not be worth reducing reliability by increased wear and stress on wheel bearings, axles, tie rods ends, pivot points, steering components or just the general engineered structure of the machine. Then there's the safety aspect: lift too much and you could lift the rear wheels and end up changing your underwear---or worse (been there). From my background in automotive engineering, if a manufacturer can eek out a little more performace without risking safety to you or the machine---they would. If you really need more--bigger is better. ....

More lift

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-23          106690

I second what earthworks said. The stability and structural intergrity of the machine could be at risk from tweeking the loader capacity, or any other modifications that increase the the moment induced in the tractor ( ie,
3-pt capacity modifications ). Increasing the loader capacity has been talked about before, but the "breakout force" listed for the loader is just what it is called. Adding more counterweight to offset such modifications may make the tractor feel more stable, but actually doubles the moment induced into the tractor frame and drive-line, not to mention the impact on all the components listed in the previous post.

Your loader has been set up so the pressure relief valve will protect you and the tractor from overloading in most cases. I would recommend against short circuiting that protection (IMHO). ....

More lift

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2005-02-23          106692

What are you trying to lift, that you would need more capacity? ....

More lift

View my Photos
68eb429

2005-02-23          106695

My yard is pretty rocky, In generaly im able to move most rocks and im really only looking for 1000 or less. I also move auto parts and was considering a set of forks and would like to have that extra lift. Im new so looking threw the net getting ideas from some of those home grown FEL on lawn tractors at half the size....and saying geeze my tractor is bigger than that. ....

More lift

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-02-23          106700

Those guys with homegrown FELs look cool but they're for moving mulch and bark around---a little 2-wheel trailer/cart can haul more than those. It's like when years ago guys put snow plows on ATV quads and were blowing transmissions and couldn't figure out why. Duh! It's not designed for it.
A thousand pounds lifting capacity has to include the bucket or forks too. 1000lb. is a lot even for a 1/2 pickup truck; That weight is over the rear axle; picture that weight hanging out 3-4 feet past the front axle as a big lever-arm, and true you have the rest of tractor as ballast---but still.
I have a 6' box scraper on my TC33D. If I get totally full of dirt (approx. 1000lb.) I can lift the front end off the ground a few feet--and I have a heavy-duty factory brush guard and 120lb. suitcase weights on the front. My machine weighs about 3000 lb. ....

More lift

View my Photos
68eb429

2005-02-23          106703

Ok so your saying that if i remove the bucket i might get more lift than the factory 640 , because they take the weight of the bucket plus a static load in total lift capabilities of the machine. yes? ....

More lift

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-02-23          106704

In general, yes. But is that practical to not have any bucket and use it like wrecker or crane boom? If yes make sure the load is centered between the l;ift arms or you twist the loader arms. If you replace the bucket with forks that weigh a fraction (not likely) of the original bucket, your lifting is much reduced if you pick something up at the end of the forks--now the lever arm is even more forward the front axle. And you have to take into consideartion that weight-wise you can probably pick up more with the loader ams up versus down due to the proximity of the weight being closer to the front of the machine--but is that practical to have something banging against the tractor grille? (done that too)
I have pallet forks for my skid steer loader that weigh about 400lb., a regular dirt bucket (700lb.), and a bucket with hydraulic grapples on it that weighs about 1000--and I can feel it when I pick up something heavy and the rear comes up. Like the ladies say: Size does matter :D ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login