Go Bottom Go Bottom

What to use to prep a field in the spring

View my Photos
paluvsjoshua
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-04-30          128600

I would like to dethatch my field. I was told to take a chain link fence about 6' wide and drag it behind the tractor attached to the 3 pt hitch. Has anyone ever used this method before to dethatch your hay field? Can this be purchased or must it be constructed? Any ideas would be helpful!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-30          128615

There are flex harrows which are heavy duty compared to the chain link fence and they can be adjusted to be aggressive.``Delta or fuerst are two manufacturers. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-05-06          129002

The chain link fence deal your talking about is used more for smoothing out a already tilled field. It works pretty slick and also can double as a way to slightly cover seeds. ASAP I plan to buy one that Art talks about. I have seem them work and they are pretty darn impressive. BUT to dethatch a living field I think would be time consuming if not impossible with one. They fill up fast with debris. A generic round up sprayed about two to three times thru the summer and then using a chain harrow works great but the key to using any light equipment is to kill off all vegitation first. Once the roots are dead there is not much holding power left in them. The chain link fence works even better behind a wheeler (the size your talking about anyways).
I have seen home made harrows using something like pole barn nails into wood that is then dragged behind the tractor for de-thatching.
Good luck ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login