Go Bottom Go Bottom

MF 1020 Looses Power After Running

View my Photos
pjvezz
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-22          83985

Hello & Help

I have a Massey Ferguson 1020 Gear 4 WD Tractor w/ 1014 loader. It looses power, like being under a load and stalls, after I run it for over an hour doing work. Starts fine, idles a little ruff (could possibly use a tune up).

But when it gets warmed up, about an hour of work. The power dies off and it wants to stall at idle. No temp lights or any other signs.

Is it an oil pressure problem? Hydrolics? Or do I have a stuck valve / need a tune up and engine check? Or is it the start of something major?

Paul

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

MF 1020 Looses Power After Running

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-23          84037

Many engines can use the timing and valve clearances checked at around 600 hours and maybe the injectors as well. It doesn't quite sound like injectors but they could be tested at a diesel shop.

Off hand I'd guess a fuel problem. First thing might be to ensure that the fuel is clean and fresh and change the filter and inspect the line and filter bowl for leaks. Some tractors have screens in the line or tank ahead of the filter. Fuel starvation often is accompanied by unstable rough operation and gray exhaust smoke. Seems like a good starting place and I imagine there'll other suggestions. It might help to say how many hours are on the tractor, the idle speed and give a little more detail about what happens. Does it start easily after it stalls? PS or hydraulic use can lug an engine at low rpm but it should happen when the engine is cold as well. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login