Go Bottom Go Bottom

455 Starting problem

View my Photos
bs1200hd
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-16          61954

Anybody experience any starting problem with 455. After it sits for a couple of days not being used, hard to start. Will turn over, but will not fire. Checked fuel filter for water etc. and found nothing. Replaced fuel pump fuse and still have same problem.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

455 Starting problem

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-16          61961

I think 455's have small diesel engines.

A fair number of things can make a diesel hard to start. Other than the fuel filter, maybe the battery is the easiest to check. A low battery or corroded terminals won't spin the starter motor fast enough.

I'd clean all terminals and the chassis end of the ground cable and then do a battery capacity test with a hydrometer. If one or more cells doesn't come into the good range, I'd put a charger on it to see if it will take a full change and then try the tractor when you know the battery is fully charged.

If it starts easily then that's probably the problem and the fix usually isn't too bad. A poor condition battery can discharge in a few days and a faulty charging system on the tractor also can discharge a battery quickly so you can't assume a battery will stay charged for several days. A faulty charging system or frequent starts and short runs may not recharge a battery. Corroded terminals cause many starting problems.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login