Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 1050 problem

View my Photos
Cpt.Dave
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-26          60156

I replaced the bulbs in the warning light system.Coolant overheat,oil pressure and battery discharge. However,the overtemp light will not test,the oil pressure light is ok and the battery light is always on. I swapped the bulbs around but the coolant over temp.light won't test on.
Any ideas?? cpt.dave

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 1050 problem

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-07-26          60159

My suggestion would be to install a temperature gauge and worry about the light later.
I have a JD 850 and it had a light and no guage.I did not trust the light,plus I felt that by the time the light came on the temp was already to high so I installed a guage to give me a much better idea of what the motor was doing.
Much better now that I can see the temp. getting up there especially when mowing deep field grass that seems to plug the radiator screen often. ....

JD 1050 problem

View my Photos
Cpt.Dave

2003-07-26          60173

Wolburt,thanks for the advice.Makes a lot of sense.
cpt.dave ....

JD 1050 problem

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-27          60176

Sounds like it might be good to do an alternator output test just to make sure the battery is being charged. There are formal tests that will check to see if the system will generate full charge rates. The simple version is to check if there's 14V-15V at the battery when the tractor is running at a fast idle.

I'm not sure how the temp light was tested and my Ford has a gauge. The test for my Ford is to remove the wire from the sensor and check that it has 12V to ground. If there's voltage there, then touching the sensor wire to ground should send the gauge to full hot. If it does then gauge is good and the problem may be the sensor. A warning light probably works the same but no guarantees here. Tests really should be performed according to a manual.

JD 1050 problem

View my Photos
Cpt.Dave

2003-07-27          60251

TomG,thanks I follow up on that and post the results.The tractor has been started at least 15 times before I replaced the bulb. I never knew I had the problem.
cpt.dave ....

JD 1050 problem

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-28          60278

I forgot to add that a good first check for suspected charging problems is the alternator belt tension. ....

JD 1050 problem

View my Photos
Cpt.Dave

2003-08-01          60684

TomG,I checked the belt and it appears to be with-in specs.
I checked battery volts,12.6v engine off and 13.7 with the engine running.A new regulator is $94 with the John Deere name.Is there an alternative for parts.etc.?
Thanks,Cpt.Dave ....

JD 1050 problem

View my Photos
TomG

2003-08-02          60745

Well dang! It's not going to be simple. 13.7V would be a bit low for most systems but it's still in the ballpark. Alternator output in a normal system varies with the level of battery charge and the electrical load. Formal tests for alternator output and regulator circuits are a bit more elabourate. They can be done fairly easily if a repair manual is available, but most tests use a carbon load, which few of us have.

The results don't seem conclusive enough for at least me to start throwing $100 chunks at the tractor unless I was certain they weren't working. A repair manual may be worth getting or having a dealer go through the formal tests (they probably take less hour's labour). The alternator itself probably can be bench tested.

I would clean the battery terminals and cable ends and especially the chassis end of the ground cable and also the alternator terminals and lugs, and unplug and spray clean every wiring connector between the alternator and regulator. It might be enough to cure a marginal problem. My alternator output terminal still had factory paint on it from the mid-80's.

Another approach is just accepting that the battery may not be fully charged by the alternator and just keeping a trickle charger on it. Battery life is shortened if they always are only partially charged but a trickle charger should bring it up to full charge. You might monitor the charge level with a hydrometer.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login