Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 4010 shut off solenoid

View my Photos
GoodJobTim
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-02-24          151626

Great place guys, just found it. Trying to help my brother-in-law with his John Deere compact 4010 tractor (diesel). Fuel shut off solenoid burned out, replaced, guess what? Yeh burned up the new one. Solenoid is three wire- ground, pull and hold. Question, should the pull and hold wires both have current with ignition on?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-24          151634

With out digging out the manual. The pull in should only hit when you turn to start or crank.

Now that is off the top of my head with out looking. Saw this post this am, been Coyote hunting till now just set down to catch my mail B4 I head upstairs and am too pooped to dig out manual.

There are several smart guys on here and they may post.

If you do not get this sorted out. I will dig out the wiring schematics tomarrow night and post.

Harvey ....

View my Photos
GoodJobTim

2008-02-24          151635

Thats what I'm thinking as well, hold hits and stands by, pull activates with start and lets go. For the life of me I can't find a short but there has to be, keyswitch works properly, relays are not stuck. Can't get back to the machine till next weekend, thanks Harvey. ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-25          151672

GJT My book does not get down to the 4010. Just realized as I type this a 4010 was made in early 60's about 90hp. Me thinks you're working on a newer compact.

My book shows a K3 relay is used in the circuit. The relay is what, the way I read this, what pulls in the start circuit. Have you checked the relay?

Have you bench tested the solenoid? You can remove the solenoid and run the tractor and shut it off by pushing in the plunger inside the pump with your finger (I use a stick). When running plug hole with a rag. Watch for "O" rings. This is a handy trick to get tractor to shop for testing tools etc.

My permenant solution was to build an adaptor plate with a push pull cable. I did discover a way to clean and salvage the electronic part, so it is still on there. ....

View my Photos
GoodJobTim

2008-02-25          151681

Thanks Harvey for the reply. Yes this is a newer SCUT as you guys call it. Had an awful time on the net trying to find info, finally figured out 4010 was an old model as well.

The solenoid is definately fried, pull circuit anyway. Bench testing, energizing the pull wire is direct short, if you push in the plunger by hand and energize the hold wire it holds. When plugged in the 40 amp fuse blows quickly with ignition.

I unplugged all three relays and still had current to the pull circuit with key on. After sleeping on it, I have to have a shorted wire. If nothing else I should be able to just run another wire from start circuit and be good. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2008-02-26          151683

If it shorted on the bench your wiring on tractor should be ok. Is your tester fused?

If solenoid is unplugged on tractor and you blow a fuse on the tractor when turning key on or to start I'd agree you need to trace wires.

(One of the smart guys needs to get in here)
PROBLEM: It is possible that it could be anyone of the safety switch wires in the start circuit that is shorting and taking out the fuse.

As I recall on the bench if using a ohm meter it will show a circuit to ground. (I don't have a formal electrical edumacation so I'll screw up the terms).

I find it difficult to believe you would have 2 bad solenoids. However anything is possible. ....

View my Photos
JD4010

2010-09-07          173828

hey GoodJobTim. I have a 2005 Compact 4010 tractor that is cooking the same shut down solenoid and popping the 40amp fuse. Does anyone know if this problem was ever solved? I have traced wires and cant seem to find the short. ....

View my Photos
GoodJobTim

2010-09-08          173839

No JD4, my next step would have been cutting into the harness to look for shorted or burned wires if the tractor were mine, but it was my brother-in-law's and pretty new, so I wasn't comfortable doing that. He took it to the dealer and was not certain what the fix was, he thought relay. ....

View my Photos
JD4010

2010-09-08          173843

This one is a little different. It will start and run fine but as soon as you take it out of neutral and put in high or low gear it will kill the engine heat up the solenoid and pop the 40amp fuse. I only tried it twice after replacing the solenoid. Can't try it again though. The last solenoid melted the end cap after repeated tries and it's a $170.00 part. What link would the solenoid have with shifting in a gear? I am thinking a safety switch is bad or grounding out? I do know there was oil when I unbolt the solenoid. Is it possible to unhook it and run the engine manually holding it to run the tractor without loosing oil? Then I could see if it still pops the fuse. ....

View my Photos
GoodJobTim

2010-09-08          173844

Yes JD4 the engine will run without the solenoid, to kill it reach into the hole with your finger and push in the pin. Just to try it, no need to worry about oil coming out. ....

View my Photos

2010-10-09          174481

Got the very same problem here on a JD 4110, fryed two solenoids, after replacing a battery, but had on charger trying to charge up old battery and start at the same time, replaced battery and solenoid, now blowing solenoids , pulled soleniod out to get running so i could use the tractor , just use your finger to push on plunger to shut it off, must have a control relay some where that is shorted out, don't have a wiring diagram to check.

Anybody got one they can email ot me ???

Ray
n3hym@hughes.net ....

View my Photos
JD4010

2010-10-10          174491

I had to end up taking it to John Deere. They fried 2 more of the solenoids before they replaced the control box and fixed the problem. Good thing they didn't charge me for the 2 they fried. I cant remember the exact name it was called, but it was a black plastic box about 4 inches wide and about 6 inches long. with about 8 wires in a square plug. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login