Go Bottom Go Bottom

Engine rebuild or longblock

View my Photos
mickeyg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-11-21          148578

I own a 1981 JD 750 with Yanmar 3cyl. The engine is in need of a rebuild or replacement. Is there anyone in northern Illinois or Wisconsin that can someone can recommend to do the work. Thanks, Mark

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-21          148580

Have you done research on the co$t to do either? Rebuilding can sometimes cost more than "repowering" (industry term for installing a new or different engine than it came with).

I had a small Perkins 4 cylinder diesel in a small skidsteer loader. Parts cost about $800. Labor was in excess of $5000. I sold the WHOLE machine to my buddy for $5000 and he's rebuilding it himself.

I would find the engine series or model number and google it and see what comes up. Then add "repower" or "repowering" and there may be another engine that will work---this happens often where, say, a Briggs & Stratton motor can be replaced by a Honda or Kawasaki or Tecumseh.

Be careful not to get rid of your current engine if you find a similar engine to what you have now for several reasons: sometimes you have to retain the oil pan, muffler, throttle linkage, intake, exhaust manifold, fuel cutoff system, and a miriad of other parts. For example, my particular Perkins was used not only in skid steers but generator sets, refrigeration units on semi trailers, marine applications, forklifts, Ag pumps, etc., etc. Therefore, each application requires certain parts not used in another. And sometimes these engines were run on propane which uses a different injection setup as in forklift applications.

Another source is www.surpluscenter.com Several members here have had good results buying a new engine from them.

You may even consider dumping the current machine and buying new---take that $5000 or more and apply it toward a new or newer one. Just a thought. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-26          148754

We've found that we can rebuild most everything! That doesn't mean that it's always the best way to go. It can often enough cost more then the engines can be purcahsed for that are new replacements. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login