Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ford 3000 Water in oil

View my Photos
hdsjr1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-04-15          141333

Had a shock yesterday. I went to get the 3000 diesel ready for warm weather use. Replaced the battery and it still wouldn’t turn over. Managed to find a bad wire, fixed it and cranked the tractor. After about a half minute I shut it off to check the fluids. Radiator okay. When I took the dipstick out, it was covered with a water-oil sludge, too much for condensation. I drained the crankcase and more than 5 gallons of oil and water drained out. Radiator still full. I had put about a gallon and a half of antifreeze in the radiator before the first freeze and ran it about 5 minutes to circulate. Our coldest winter temp was about 18 degrees. Today I flushed the crankcase with some cheap oil, replace the filter and cranked it again. It runs like a top. After about 5 minutes I shut it off and checked the oil. Watery, again. Radiator still full.

I think I have a crack in the water jacket low in the cylinder – doesn’t affect the compression, but provides a path for the oil-water mixing. Does anybody have any other thoughts? By the way, it’s not smoking unusually.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Ford 3000 Water in oil

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-16          141338

Well I don't think it is an internal problem if the radiator isn't down! Thru the years I've seen many a block with casting flaws but I don't think this is the problem.
Many times we change out the fluid two to three times before they clean up, I do believe you've got condensation in the block or a way for it to build up with where it is parked. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login