Go Bottom Go Bottom

Backhoe mounting

View my Photos
davefoerster
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-02          67817

I have a Kubota L4610HST and have just recently purchased a used Woods 9500 backhoe. The manual shows both 3 point and subframe mounting. Am I asking for trouble using the 3 point setup? Has anyone had any bad experiences with this?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Backhoe mounting

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-02          67849

Dave I don't like to sell aftermarket hoes for tractors that I sell but I do. For you I would tell you that what ever you decide remember to keep it tight. I would recommend the full frame if the loss of the ground clearence is not a problem. ....

Backhoe mounting

View my Photos
TomG

2003-11-03          67868

It the sub-frame requires removal of 3ph arms etc. to mount the hoe then swapping back and forth between hoe and other implements might be a pain and it would be tempting to use a 3ph mount. There's tons of discussion in the archives about the greater stress and possible damage to tractors from 3ph hoes, so the sub-frame mount would be the better choice most times. I have a 3ph hoe and my use is occasional and the hoe is fairly small for the tractor. It has worked out OK for me over five years but I'd still use a sub-frame if I had it and it wasn't too big a deal to swap back and forth.

If you go with a 3ph mount it's good to understand it thoroughly. Most mounts lock down the 3ph. Without a lock-down, it's possible for an operator to get a quick ride and end up between the hoe console and the ROSP if the 3ph gets bumped into lift mode. I'm aware of the stresses of my 3ph mount and check the stabilizer adjustments about every 1/2-hour of operation. ....

Backhoe mounting

View my Photos
davefoerster

2003-11-03          67878

Thanks. Clearance is a problem so 3 pt would be most convenient if I don't break my tractor. By keeping it tight I assume you mean all linkage bolts should be properly torqued. How about the pin joints, though? They can be preloaded by applying download on the stabilizers by how are these to be set and how critical is it? ....

Backhoe mounting

View my Photos
TomG

2003-11-04          67946

I confused things when I mentioned stabilizers--my fault. My mount uses two top-links that run from a plate mounted on the drawbar to either side of the hoe top-link mount. They lock down the 3ph, stabilize it and likely distribute some of the load from the top-link bracket to the drawbar. I should have called them something other than stabilizers. When I mentioned adjusting the mount or keeping it tight I usually mean adjusting these top links. The can loosen during operation so I check them periodically. Your mount may be different. I also periodically check the case bolts and inspect the case seams for spread, but I haven't found any.

The digging force of any hoe tends to jackknife the tractor at the case seams. For 3ph mounts the forces are mostly top-link compression. Force from the bucket and leverage from long arms rotates the hoe on it's lower link pins against the top-link bracket. A sub-frame hoe produces the same forces but the frame distributes them more evenly.

Mine is a 6' modest powered hoe on a 24hp tractor. It's on the small side for the tractor, but when I use my hoe I still it easy. I feather the valves to prevent sudden movements and I don't try to break big roots or move large rocks. In particular, I avoid digging with the hoe stretched out, which requires moving the tractor more often. Digging with the hoe stretched out places huge compression on the top-link and that type of use is likely the origin of most stories about 3ph hoes breaking tractors. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login