Backhoe purchase decision: Back Hoe  -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum and Review Backhoe purchase decision: Back Hoe -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index

Kubota Tractors
  Kubota News
  Kubota Price
  Kubota Review
John Deere Tractors
  John Deere News
  John Deere Price
  John Deere Review
New Holland Tractors
  New Holland Tractor Price
  New Holland Tractor Revie
Other Tractor Brands
  Articulated Tractors
  Belarus
  Bobcat Tractors
  Case
  Cub Cadet
  Hinomoto
  Kioti Tractor
  Long
  Massey Ferguson
  Mitsubishi
  Other Tractor Brands
  Other Tractor News
  Shibaura
  Yanmar Tractors
Lawn and Garden Tractors
  Craftsman
  Cub Cadet Garden
  John Deere Garden
  Kubota Lawn Garden
  Other Garden Tractors
  Simplicity
  Toro Wheelhorse
  Ventrac Lawn Tractors
Antique Tractors
  Allis Chalmers
  Case David Brown
  Farmall IHC
  Ford
  Ford 9N 2N 8N
  Fordson
  Harry Ferguson
  John Deere Older
  Massey-Harris Ferguson
  Minneapolis Moline
  Oliver Cletrac Cockshutt
  Restoration
  Tractor Pulling
Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph
  Back Hoe
  Field Mowers Brush Cutter
  Grooming Mowers Finish Mo
  Loaders
  Snowblowers / Snow Plows
  Tillers and Ploughs
  Tractor Implements
  Trenchers
  Wood Chippers 3PH
Tractor Maintenance
  Diesel Fuel Lubrication E
  Tractor Engine Repair Reb
  Tractor Tires
Utility ATV
  All Terrain Vehicles
  John Deere Gator
  Mule Utility Vehicles
General Tractor
  Farming Ranching Agricult
  Photo Contest
  Size Tractor Needed
  Tractor Projects
  Tractor Safety
  Welding
Chinese Tractors
  Jinma Farmpro Agracat
  NorTrac Tractors
  Other Chinese Tractors
Cars
  All Brands
  Audi VW
  BMW
  Car Tires and Maintenance
  Chrysler
  Exotic, Sports, Racing
  Ford Cars
  General Motors
  Honda
  Hyundai
  Mercedes
  News
  Nissan
  Subaru
  SUV and Trucks
  Toyota Cars
Trucks Trailers
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
Home Building
  Alternate Electric Energy
  Barns Pole Barns
  Buying Ranch Farm Acreage
  Carpentry
  Contractors
  Electric
  Excavation
  Moldings Finish Trim
  Other Home Building
  Pellet Stoves
  Plumbing
  Wood Stoves
Tools
  Electirc Power Tools
  Gas Power Tools
  Generators
  Shop Tools
  Techniques Howto
Landscape
  Flowers Shrubs Garden
  Golf Course Maintenance
  Irrigation Systems
  Landscape Design
  Landscape Lighting
  Landscape Maintenance
  Lawn, Turf, and Grass
  Vegetable Gardening
Construction
  Caterpillar
  Komatsu
  Wheel Loaders
Current Events Health Happiness
  Current Events
  Dogs and other Pets
  Electronics And Computers
  Food
  Health
  Just For Fun Off Topic
  Movies Music Games
  Personal Finance Investme
  Sports Outdoors
Tractorpoint Site
  Member Photos
  Site Members
  Website Operations Howto

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Back Hoe Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 11-22-2001, 09:57 Post: 33334
Brent

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Backhoe purchase decision

I am about to purchase a Kelley B750 3pt backhoe. Does anyone out there have any experience with this particular backhoe or any other Kelley backhoe? I believe Kelley makes this backhoe for Koyker (B15) and it also gets marketed as a Branson. It has been sitting on the dealer's lot for several months. According to the dealer is was parked with the stabalizers up but now one is down. Does this mean that there could be an issue with the hydraulics? Should I be concerned? Thanks in advance for your input.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 11-23-2001, 07:24 Post: 33356
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

I have a Kelley 650. I think of it as a decent moderate priced machine. My use is project oriented, and such a hoe is good for me since I use it sporadically. I haven't has any problems in the 3-years I've had it. The stabilizers stay up, and I'd think it was a problem if they didn't. My hoe doesn't have a full 180-degree swing that some more expensive hoes have, but I haven't found that too limiting. My hoe is a 3ph-mount type, which I find convenient, but 3ph types may be harder on the tractor frame than a sub-frame mount. I believe the Kelley 3ph mount is a pretty good design, and I realize that I have to use it with due consideration.

I recognize that tractor hoes (3ph of sub-frame) aren't like dedicated hoes and shouldn't be used as if they are. The soil is very sandy here with few rocks. Even so, I take my time rather than get into 'power mode' and trying to beating up things with the hoe. My tractor has a hydraulic relief pressure of 1836 lbs., which also saves some wear and tear on the tractor. I think the Kelley specs are 2000-2200 lbs. ideal and 1500 lbs. minimum pressure.

I think that the tractor size should be considered carefully, especially if it's a 3ph mount. My tractor is a reasonably rugged Ford 1710 that around 2500 lbs. with loader etc., 24 hp and 8.1 gpm hydraulic flow (guess you know that you have to have a loader with a backhoe). I don't think I'd want to put a 7.5' hoe on my 1710 3ph. The extra foot is more leverage and more chance of damaging the tractor.

11-24-2001, 15:45 Post: 33385
Roger L.

Filter by User

If it was parked with the stabilizers up, it is bound to leak down faster when loaded. But the truth is that some leakdown is common in all but the most fortunate hydraulic systems. It is the "rate" that will tell you whether it is a problem. It has to bes either the cylinder or the spool valve, and cylinders are easier to deal with. Have you been able to isolate which it is? I am looking at a similar Kelley backhoe myself and am curious what tractor you are going to mount it on.

11-24-2001, 19:16 Post: 33390
Brent

Filter by User

Roger,
The backhoe is a new unit and I haven't seen it yet. It is on a distributors lot a couple of hours away from me. When I called to arrange a time to see the backhoe, the wharehouse manager told me that it had been mounted on a tractor this spring and when the tractor sold they unhooked the backhoe and parked it with the stabilizers up. He said that since then one stabilizer had "fallen down". I'm not sure how quickly it happened or if it was helped down by someone pushing the lever. I feel I have been quoted a very good price on this backhoe, but am concerned that if there is a problem, I may be on my own in dealing with the manufacturer. I guess this is the chance you take when you choose to go for the lowest price and not use a local dealer. Afterall, there may be nothing wrong with the unit at all. I plan to mount the backhoe on a JD4300. I am a little concerned about not having a subframe, but I am just going to be using it for light duty home-owner use (aka toy). I am not planning to did out any tree stumps or do anything too abusive. I called Kelley and they do not yet offer a subframe for the B750 for a JD4300. If I use it a few times and am concerned, I will probably either attempt to make my own subframe or consider purchasing either a Woods or Bush Hog subframe for my tactor and adapting it to fit the Kelley hoe. I have never used a backhoe on a compact tractor - only the old Case style TLB's. My nieghbor has a JD655 with a small 3pt. backhoe and he has accomplished a lot with a very small unit. He dug a small trench for me and since that day I have had backhoe fever. I mainly want to use the hoe for digging several drainage trenches, digging a footer for an outbuilding, digging trenches for water and power lines, and to have on-call for all the projects I'm sure to dream up once I have it.

11-24-2001, 21:49 Post: 33393
Don M

Filter by User

If you know or can find out what hoe your neighbor has on the 655, I'd be interested to find out. I am thinking of building a cadplans one for my 755, in my spare time. Hahahaha, spare time, that's a good one. Anyway....

-Don M

11-25-2001, 05:12 Post: 33395
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Brent: I've got a couple of comments about the 3ph mount. Mine uses a plate that bolts through drawbar and uses two U-bolts as well. It is important that the plate mounts within 1-inch of the drawbar support bracket. In my case, I was lucky that I could use the forward hole for the drawbar top-plate. Otherwise drilling a 1" hold in the drawbar would be required (a pain).

The plate provides mounts for two top-links that run to the hoe either side of the top-link mount. These top-links stabilize the hoe but also lock down the 3ph. They are also essential to keep the 3ph from accidentally going into lift when an operator is in the hoe seat. Properly installed, it is possible for the 3ph to go into lift while locked down. The relief valve can be heard, which something to listen for. It happened to me once but fortunately I caught it after a short time. As I said, I think the Kelley 3ph mount is a good design, but I also think it must be kept in proper adjustment to minimize stress on the 3ph and frame. I find that the mountings and top-link adjustments do change during operation--especially when the hoe is new. I check the mounts about every hour of operation, but now I've also have a 'feel' for when they're not right. I like the hoe fine, but I do find myself tinkering with it a bit.

My hoe sits idle during the winter. I don't think the stabilizers move even an inch over the winter. Possible explanations for the down stabilizer other than a faulty cylinder or spooling valve are; the hoe isn't fully charged with oil or the return line quick connector leaks and somebody pulled the stabilizer lever. Each could be checked out easily. If it's a new hoe, it should be under warranty, and the dealer should be able to check it out and repair as required before sale.

11-25-2001, 08:51 Post: 33400
Roger L.

Filter by User

I think the most abusive thing I've ever done with my backhoe was levering large rocks out of the ground....although I imagine that tree roots could also stress it. Damage to the hoe has included ripping a bucket and warping/flexing the boom far enough that some of the pivot pins sheared. All easily repaired with a welder and using the backhoe's own hydraulics plus some heavy chain to cause it to bend itself back into shape.
I agree with Tom that the most probable cause is that someone pulled the lever. And also with the general comments about the 3pt hitch setup. It does require constant tinkering, and a much better connection would be some sort of subframe that would stay mounted and out of the way. The fear of the lift arms actuating accidentally is very real. It happened to me once. They must be locked firmly. Still, my next backhoe will be a three point type for the convenience.

11-25-2001, 09:41 Post: 33401
WIlliam

Having a 4300, Deere offers two backhoe options (47/48) that are some what sub-frame mounted. Both of which can be removed in less than five minutes to allow use of the 3pt. It may cost a little more but as the saying goes you get what you pay for.

11-26-2001, 06:58 Post: 33427
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Yes, I think the sub-frame and 3ph mounts are trade-offs. The newer sub-frames mounts are much more convenient I hear, but probably still not as convenient as a 3ph. My 3ph requires some tinkering during use and is undoubtedly capable applying more stress to the tractor. Older sub-frame mounts took to time to mount the hoe, required that the lift arms were removed, interfered with the use of other implements and took a long time to remove. Some real negatives there. Trouble is that I imagine the new fancy sub-frame mounts are only available for new/pricey hoes that go on newer tractors. I don't have a new tractor, and I couldn't justify a pricey hoe for my sporadic project uses anyway. I still think the 3ph mount was the best choice for me. I also think I should get the model of my Kelley right--it's a B600. Every now and then I call it a 650, because of the 750 I guess and the fact that the max depth of my 600 is 6.5'. Of course, you can't actually dig anything at 6.5.' It has a 2' bottom at 6', which is the way hoes often are rated.

I hope Bill is reading this thread. Some of the comments are relevant to his questions. Hydraulic stabilizers are good to have; I adjust mine frequently. A 3ph lock down is essential (especially with a ROPS as Art mentioned and with draft control as Roger mentioned). I think it was Steve Carver who reported a death over two years ago; it probably was one of his customer's sons. The person was crushed between the hoe console and the ROPS when the lift raised.

11-28-2001, 16:36 Post: 33500
Brent

Filter by User

Don M,
I believe that my nieghbor's backhoe which he uses on a JD655 is an ARPS hoe. I don't know the model number, but it is about the size of a Kelley B600. His backhoe is several years old - at least 10 or 15 years. Hope that helps.
Brent

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Back Hoe Forum

Thread 33334 Filter by Poster:
Brent 4 | Don M 2 | Roger L. 2 | TomG 4 | WIlliam 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
videorov

Belarus - How do I get this part off the tractor so I can install a new one
How do I get this part off the tractor so I can install a new one

Unanswered Questions

Belarus 825 - needs a new clut
Drain Cock
Need more hydraulic flow for s
HINOMOTO HB 501
Belarus 420A - Problems bleed

Active Subjects

460 Long hyd leak
460 axle
Key will not start engine
6x4 engine rebuild vsHarbor Fr
Things we say and what do they
The Plus and Minus of Ignoring
Looking to buy a New Pickup Tr
Need more hydraulic flow for s

Hot Topics

Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch s
Duerr hp 678 Chipper replaceme
Gator 620i gas in engine oil
KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
Gator 6x4 Overheating problem
Duerr hp 678 Chipper Manual
Adjusting 7308 Pressure Relief
Long 460 hydraulic problem

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Woods 9000 sub-frame backhoe
+ Backhoe Hydraulic Hose Line Set up
+ Kit Built Backhoe Review Advice
+ small backhoe bucket
+ Taylor-Way backhoe Reviews
+ Case backhoe value-kelly blue book
+ subframe vs 3 point
+ JD model 48 backhoe attachment plates for JD 4600
+ kelly backhoe