Go Bottom Go Bottom

bent shaft

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-08-20          18993

DSG: Not a good thing to happen. Like you, I expect designs to be adequate for machines to protect themselves, unless maybe there was a lack of stability and the tractor weight shifted while the curl valve was closed. I know that I stall the curl on my hoe sometimes during ordinary digging, and I'd be surprised if the hoe was damaged. I guess another possibility is that the tractor has abnormally high hydraulic pressure.I think that warranty coverage could be a problem. Many dealers might think of the situation as resulting from abuse. Fortunately, if the shaft that was bent is a hydraulic cylinder, a replacement cylinder shouldn't be too expensive.Note: I'm posting this as a new message. I can't get a reply to post properly.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

bent shaft

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2000-08-20          18995

That definitely should not have happened. I can't imagine the tractor or the hoe developing enough pressure to bend a shaft (I'm assuming you're talking about the hydraulic ram here) unless either the pressure relief malfunctioned (even then it's unlikely that the tractor could develop enough pressure) or the shaft had a metalurgical or manufacturing fault. I would certainly seek relief under the conditions of the warranty. ....

bent shaft

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-08-20          18999

Thanks for the relies Tom & Paul. Yes it is a Hyraulic ram. The tractor was on the ground and the stablizers were down and in place. I don't think it was abuse, the stump/rootball was already lose. I was curling it back toward the tractor and was going to drop it the knock the dirt out of it. I had just lifted one side of it off the ground about 18" when the shaft bent. When it happened it made a big bang. The bottom side of the cylinder housing hit the outside of the dipper stick housing. Lets hope for warranty. David. ....

bent shaft

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2000-08-20          19006

No, that shouldn't qualify as abuse. I've dug up LOTS of stumps with my Woods 650 and never had a problem. That's what the built in pressure relief is for. Don't let them hassle you about it.

bent shaft

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-08-20          19014

Sure sounds like a defective hydraulic cylinder to me. Can't imagine anyone making an argument that a cylinder failure could happen from abuse. It is also the first time I've ever heard of the ram on a cylinder bending, though I guess a cylinder could also fail by having the junction from the ram to the piston come loose at full extention. From the outside that condition would look like a bent ram. No matter which, it would most probably be due to a manufacturing defect. ....

bent shaft

View my Photos
frans

2001-07-25          30349

My dealer told me it was operator error and sent me a $270 bill. ....

bent shaft

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-07-25          30350

"Operator error" implies to me that there is something a person could do which would cause the cylinder to fail. From what you have explained of the damage, I do not see how anyone could duplicate the failure. Is this dealer worth just paying the bill and forgetting about it? ....

bent shaft

View my Photos
skyphoto1972

2003-02-25          50070

Had to reply on this one...I had a Du-all Backhoe on my JD 7775 skidsteer and bent two Hyd. cylinders on the bucket curl cyl. The dealer couldn't figure out what was up...The manufacturer said to replace the pressure reg. on the bucket curl cyl. (on the hyd. manifold)and never had another problem, so a tractor CAN produce enough pressure to bend a cyl. without regulated pressure to control spikes. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login