Go Bottom Go Bottom

Thumb attachment on bh75 hoe

View my Photos
burlbird7
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-07-14          113450

I was wondering if anyone has attempted to put a thumb attachment on a small hoe like the kubota bh75? I think it would be ideal for picking up medium sized rocks, stumps and logs. I think you could bolt a plate with the thumb and pivot wings to the underside of the front arm above the bucket with a cylinder and a bypass valve at the controls.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-14          113452

Some of the Kubota Excavators have thumb options that will fit on there other units depending on exactly the type of thumb you need. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-20          113701

I have a thumb on my mid-size backhoe. BTW you don't need a hydraulic hookup for a stiff or mechanical thumb which swings out of the way or can be removed when not in use---use the digging bucket as the "finger". Keep in mind that any extra weight on the hoe from a thumb effectively reduces the lifting capacity by the weight of the thumb and attaching hardware. There is a guy from Canada on e-bay that sells a weld-it-yourself kit for an 18" thumb which I have (it's a little short so it actually goes right in the bucket instead of meeting the bucket cutting edge) it cost about $235 inc. shipping.

Also, like my 25-year-old backhoe, unless the hoe was designed and built to accept a thumb be careful not to overload or stress the attachment point on the hoe stick itself---I squeezed and then started to cave in the hoe stick about a foot away from the bucket pivot using the supplied pivot point in the kit. DOH! And my hoe's box section at that point is about 6" x 8" with 1/4" wall. I had to reinforce or wrap three sides of the hoe with 3/8" plate 38" long--and it still wants to bend the hoe stick until the relief valve kicks in. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login