Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hardy 6st Backhoe

View my Photos
rob669
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-11-29          101228

In going through all of the posts I do not see this backhoe discussed. Any info would be helpful. I have one on a JD 4100. Plenty of power maybe to much. First real use this past weekend and I bent the dipper stick ram into a 90 degree angle . hoping it will be covered under warrenty. No realtime on unit. I was pulling a small cluster of 1-2 inch saplings maybe 12 inch round . Hoe runs off pto pump I was running at approx. 1700 rpm.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Hardy 6st Backhoe

View my Photos
WillieH
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-07          101810

rob669,
Question: When you say it was running at 1700rpm, do you mean the pto, or the tractor (engine) rpm? You probably realize this already, but most stand alone PTO backhoe pumps run on 540pto speed. Anything higher than that will over power the hoe, and possibly cause injury or damage, as you witnessed. Just curious.

Willie H. ....

Hardy 6st Backhoe

View my Photos
rob669
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-08          101827

As far as I know to achieve true 540 RPM PTO speed on the 4100 JD you need to run the engine RPM at real close to max. as indicated on the tach approx. 2500 Rpm has a yellow line that indicates proper engine RPM for PTO use. I had the engine running at 1700 or just above idle as this provides plenty of power for the 6st with the pump I have. I would think on a bigger tractor you would run higher RPM as the machine weight would compensate for the additional power. Any more info would be helpful. My JD dealer is dealing with Hardy to try to get it covered under warrenty. I am not only looking to fix the cylinder but to prevent this from happening again.
Rob ....

Hardy 6st Backhoe

View my Photos
WillieH
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-08          101902

rob669-
I was understanding you to mean that the engine was actually running an output of 540 pto speed. With that, one would have so much (typically) hydraulic pressure with a pto pump, that the machine would be conceivably herky-jerky, hence the reason to run it as you pointed out, just over idle.

I always ran mine at about 1500rpm (engine). This delivered PLENTY of power at the backhoe without being herky-jerky.
SHEEESH! If that baby bent on you like you described, makes me wonder if the wrong pto pump (too high of an output) was spec'd for the unit. This would account for the ability of overpowering the hoe, even at low pto speeds.
- Willie H. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login