Go Bottom Go Bottom

Need advice

View my Photos
bobc61
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-21          80583

I am trying to "plow" some food plots on my land and my first attempt was not very successful. I am using a 48" gang disc, some people call this a harrow, behind a 24 HP tractor and found that I could only scratch the surface in many areas. Where the ground was soft, it worked well but in harder areas, it did not penetrate the soil very much at all. Should I be using something else or am I doing something wrong? Any help will be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Need advice

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-21          80587

Unless the ground has been plowed recently, you'll need to plow it with a moldboard plow before discing.
If you see farmers discing only in the spring, it is likely a field that is worked every year. Usually they will plant a cover crop for the winter months and then disc that down before planting in the spring.
You can get varying results from a disc harrow by changing the angle of the discs (if it is adjustable) and adding weight. Most disc harrows are made to allow stacking cinderblocks or sandbags on the frame.
Even the nice rotary tillers that attach to the three point hitch on our tractors have a tough time in virgin sod. It is still best to plow first.
Good luck,
Bill ....

Need advice

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-03-21          80588

Bobc; The small light duty 3pt. disc harrows were never meant to be a primary deep tillage tool. They are meant to work down a seed bed that has been deep tilled by a moldboard plow, chisel plow or some other impliment that works the soil down to 7 to 10 inches deep to loosen it up so your disc will penetrate the soil. Wait till the soil looks plenty dry then wait another day or two before doing any deep tillage in heavy soils in the spring. Working heavy soils while they are too wet will get you the nicest assortment of grapefuit size clods you ever saw. Pick up a handfull of unworked soil, squeeze in the palm of your hand, if it stays in a solid ball it's too wet, if the ball of soil fals apart it's time to go. Depending on how large an aeria, how much surface trash, etc. are involved maybe a rotary tiller is your best choice, but then don't use the disc behind the tiller as you've did everything you need in one pass. Enjoy your new project, Frank. ....

Need advice

View my Photos
DonBurrell

2004-03-26          81175

Alot of times you can add a little weight to your harrows to get better penetration. "Always remeber that we drag harrows and ploughs and a tiller helps push us".
Watch for extra strain on your tractor when adding weight and ploughing extra wet dirt. ....

Need advice

View my Photos
CraigC

2004-03-26          81186

Don't know about a tiller helping push you, have heard of tillers taking out tractor rearends because they are pushing against the tractor. ....

Need advice

View my Photos
DonBurrell

2004-03-26          81199

You must have a much firmer soil with a lot of stones. I am from north Fl and the fellow that needed advise if from GA.
Our soil has alot of sand and clay, no lime rock etc, Once it is broken up a tiller makes a great seed bed and for us Our tractors run cooler using a tiller. I can not say I have heard of the rear ends having trouble down here.
We have a King Kutter II that has treated us well. We plant 30 acres several times a year for our deer. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login