Go Bottom Go Bottom

Need advice for implements

View my Photos
mushing_madness
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-03          72959

I'm thinking of turning some ground and making some food plots, doing some sweet corn, and just going hog wild on the garden. What I'm wondering is, what can I pull?

I have a 30hp Cub Cadet 4wd and am new to small farming. I suppose I need a plough to turn the ground, a disk to break up the big stuff, a harrow possible to level, and a cultivator to pull weeds? Does this sound right?

What can a 30 hp pull? What do they cost? Do I need all four or are there other options? Let me know what you think.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-03          72970

You named all of the stuff that will do a good job. Most of the stuf can be found at auctions. Unless your spare time proffessoring lets you buy new toys.

But you'd be fine with a 2 bottom 14 or 16" plough. The rest is 3ph stuff from tractor supply.

I just do not know how well the culivator would work in a garden. I did not like tending garden because I am to picky and anal about stuff growing that is not suspose to.

I grow some ter-mate-ers in 4x4 boxes but thats it. ....

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-03          72973

In your profile you state making wildlife food plots, clover , and alpha is a good seed to sew for that. a good disking will be fine for those plantings. a bottom plow will probley be best for doing corn, as it turns soil over deeper. I've been doing alhpa and clover for 3 seasons now adding to the size each year by using a box blade to cut sod out and then disking down 4 to 5 inches. works out great with only useing the two implements. and the deer love it! ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-01-06          73248

I have a 27HP Cadet which is the same as yours with different injection giving you 3 more HP. I have a single bottom moldboard plow. In low range with turf tires I can plow about 6-8 inches deep in heavy clay. In tough spots you can get quite a bit of wheel spin with turfs. I do allot of driving on my lawn and won't use R4's. I always have my FEL on as well. My plow is just a cheapy. You should buy one that has a coltier disc on it. That cuts the sod and corn stubble and gives good turnover coverage and a nice cut on the top soil. A gauge wheel is also nice when set to the max. down so the plow doesn't go to deep. A rear wheel isn't necessary. If you do allot of ploughing you may want this also. It also helps to keep the plow from going to deep, it helps keep it straight and runs over some of the loose dirt that falls in, packing it so you have a nice gulley for the next path.

A moldboard plow is nicer than a tiller when breaking new ground and you want to turn the soil. Fall plowing is better than spring plowing since you can get the decaying process started sooner. You won't drain the moisture out of the soil and in cool climates the freezing and thawing has a natural soil clump breaking up process. Many modern farmers are getting away from a moldboard plow and go to chisel plows. A tiller on the other hand can chew up debris and break-up clumps of soil. Each has merits. I sometimes use my brother-in-laws King Kutter 60", but usually in the spring just preparing the garden. It really makes the soil soft and fluffy. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login