Go Bottom Go Bottom

Bucket up or down when using tiller

View my Photos
drichards
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-20          49653

I had a discussion today with a couple of bystanders who told me I would get better results from my tiller if I worked it with the FEL bucket in the most upright position. One guy told me I could put more weight on the rear end and it would till better in the hard soils. I am not an expert on tillers by any means so I tried it. I did not notice any increased performance and of course, the tractor felt less stable over uneven ground.

My thoughts are that in order to put more weight on the rear end; the FEL would have to be past 90 degrees straight up to move the balance of weight to the back. And even if you could do that, my system has no down pressure on the 3pt hitch so therefore would be of no benefit. So, have I missed something or is this just an old tale or what?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
rdunstan

2003-02-20          49655

Safety first - keep the bucket down! Regularly use a 5' KingKutter rototiller behind both JD1070 and JD 4100. For convenience sakes, I usually leave the bucket on adn down when tilling. I've been know to lift it high to clear something, but if you catch a tree of other obstruction with that bucket up, you'll be in for a surprise how easily your tractor can and will tip over.

At least for the JD loaders I have, removing just the bucket, not teh loader itself is a 1-minute job and makes the tractor more manuverable.

Just my thoughts. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-02-20          49659

Most compact tractors do not have down pressure on the 3 point anyway, so it would make NO differance.

View my Photos
kay

2003-02-20          49661

You best not listen to the bystanders on this one.
With the loader raised there will be some additional weight on the rear wheels, but not much. The problem as already mentioned is raising the center of gravity with the bucket high, and you noticed how unstable it felt, and were correct. As long as your rear wheels were not losing traction, you were doing everything right. Your tiller will go deeper if you subsoil the ground first, or just slow down to a slower speed and let it till deep. The condition of the ground plays a large part in this equation too.
The weight of the bucket will counter balance the tiller when it is in the raised position, making it easier to steer. ....

View my Photos
drichards

2003-02-22          49787

Thanks for the info. I thought this advice was worth just what I paid for it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login