Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ballast for tilling

View my Photos
JonB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-03-21          25685

My manual says suitcase weights should be used when tilling. I've never used them and have relied on the FEL. I assume suitcase weights have more leverage (for their weight) hanging on the front end, but the loader is heavier than the suitcase weights, rests low on the frame, and is kept low while tilling. My 4100 is relatively light but I've never had a problem. Is this a safe? Are suitcase weights a better practice? Thanks in advance. JonB

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Ballast for tilling

View my Photos
Ted Kennedy

2001-03-21          25686

Jon, generally speaking, you would need suitcase weights in lieu of your loader. If you feel that you need a bit more weight to keep your front from bouncing, put some heavy objects (stones or gravel) into the bucket. I don't see this as a problem or a big safety issue, you should be OK even in the toughest soil.. ....

Ballast for tilling

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-03-21          25687

JonB, I'm curious. Are you talking about using a rotary tiller, or a plow? When I had a B7100, the FEL was not a quick attach and therefore was never taken off the tractor. But now that I have the B2710 with a quick attach FEL, I do take it off when tilling, and I can't see that adding weight on the front end would help anything. The only reasons I can see for adding weight is if you are using a tiller that's so heavy it makes the front end too light when the tiller is picked up, or if you're using a counter-rotating tiller that requires more traction to pull it forward. Since most tillers are turning forward, if anything they'd be pushing the tractor forward. In fact, I do my tilling in 2WD. ....

Ballast for tilling

View my Photos
JonB

2001-03-21          25692

Bird, I'm using a rotary tiller, JD 550. It weighs around 450 lbs., maybe less, while the 4100 weighs around 1560 lbs. without the loader. The tines push the tractor forward. I rip up the ground with a middle buster, sometimes plow, and then till. The ride is bumpy after plowing but I've thought it would flip. My 3ph mower is 650 lbs, and I sometimes mow without the FEL or any weights--on level ground. It was reading the manual that made me think a FEL might not be sufficient ballast. But it you've tilled for years without suitcases and with a FEL, then it sounds like I'm okay. I just like to be careful. Thanks. ....

Ballast for tilling

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-03-21          25697

JonB, you say the tines will push the tractor forward. When I had the B7100, the same thing would happen to me if I tilled in high range, 2WD, so I usually put it in low and 4WD for tilling and then the tiller wouldn't push me forward. Now with the same tiller on a B2710 (heavier tractor and liquid ballast in the rear tires), I do nearly all my tilling in 2WD and mid-range and the tiller doesn't push me forward. In fact, I just finished tilling 3 gardens today. ....

Ballast for tilling

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2001-03-21          25707

Consider this: Your 410 FEL assembly weighs 600#. Most suitcase weights are only 40-50 lbs. each. You would need 12 suitcase weights to equal the weight of your FEL. Also, you won't, but if you ever do need extra front weight, just pick up a bucketful of material. FYI, I rototill with my 4100 with no front weights at all. I use about 200-300 when using my plow. This year I plan to just leave my loader on instead. ....

Ballast for tilling

View my Photos
JonB

2001-03-23          25761

Just a follow up, I tilled about 1/4 acre this evening, paying special attention to how the tractor handled. Although the tines should push the tractor forward, based on rotation, I couldn't feel it at all. Uphill nad downhill was the same. (the slope is very small). Never once did it feel unstable. Breaking the ground up first with a middle buster seems to take the bite out of the ground. Of course the rocks were another matter. Now where's my rake? Thanks for your advice. JonB ....

Ballast for tilling

View my Photos
Matt Kramer

2001-05-16          28266

I went throught some serious mud the other day with my JD650 and tiller. I only have the loaded on the front. I was amazed that I did not get stuck. I guess the other guy was right. Your tiller pushes you foward, and along with 4wd it seems you can till anywhere.
Matt ....

Ballast for tilling

View my Photos
MarkS

2001-05-17          28312

The tiller definately pushes you forwad when tilling. I had a 2WD Cub Cadet with Turf tires and on several occasions when tilling in soft ground I had to drop the tiller back down into the dirt to get unstuck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login