Go Bottom Go Bottom

Which Tiller

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-05-18          16382

I'm going to be in the market for a tiller for my Kubota B2400 before it's time to put in next years garden and I'd like to benefit from all the experience out there. Walking behind that old Troybilt is getting to be hard work but the main reason is that the tractor is just sitting there while I'm working my butt off. The manual says that 50" is the widest tiller width my tractor can handle with a maximum weight of approx 465 lbs (I think?). My ground is pretty rocky with a 2" to 6" thick hardpan layer about 6" below the surface so am I best just going with a Kubota tiller or are there some good aftermarket machines out there. Also is the reverse tilling feature available on some tillers worth the extra cost. Looking forward to your replies and thanks in advance for your help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Which Tiller

View my Photos
Darren

2000-05-18          16387

Check out the farm equipment dealers in your area for a Kuhn tiller. Kuhns are imported from France and are the Mack truck of the tiller world. Do you want a 10' wide tiller? Kuhn makes those and larger.

One feature is that Kuhn does not use a chain drive to transfer power to the tiller blade shaft. It uses gears running in an oil bath. The smaller units can also be offset so you don't need a tiller as wide as your tractor to prevent wheel marks. Kuhns are built strong for commercial use. On the larger units they also offer different blades depending on the type of soil you have. The blades for more difficult soils such clay are different than those on any other tiller I've seen. In fact they're forged.

The larger units can also be purchased with seeders.

Which Tiller

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-05-18          16397

Frank, I use a Bush Hog RTS40 and it's been used hard (even abused I'd have to say) for nearly 5 years and never a problem. And it's a chain drive. Bush Hog does make some heavier duty models that are gear drive, and the King Kutters I've seen look good and are cheaper even with the gear drive. The counter rotating tillers are more expensive, and I don't know why, but I can't see any big advantage to them. I used to have a walk behind Craftsman 17" that was counter rotating, but I've never used a counter rotating tiller on a tractor, so there may be some advantage that I'm not aware of. ....

Which Tiller

View my Photos
DanaT

2000-05-18          16410

Do you happen to know a E-MAIL adderss for that french tiller,I'd like to find the closest dealer to me. ....

Which Tiller

View my Photos
tom

2000-05-18          16414

Try their web page:
http://www.kuhn-usa.com/internet/kuhnus.nsf/RechConcessionnaire?OpenForm
or,

http://www.kuhn-usa.com

Tom

Which Tiller

View my Photos
Robert in Pa.

2000-08-04          18524

I have been using a King Kutter 48 inch tiller on my B2100 and it works really well in my rocky ground. It's a little heavy but with front end loader and using 4wd no problems. Tractor seems to run it with no problems as far a power goes almost wish I would have bought the 5 ft., but then I may have been asking for problems down the road. ....

Which Tiller

View my Photos
David Waite

2000-08-05          18539

Went thru my Massey dealer when I bought my tractor(MF1225), and have been using it for 1 season now no problems. The unit is a worksaver T25-50 this unit is for 25HP tractors. I live in central PA and I think the dealer got the tiller in New Holland, Pa. It works well in my rocky clay "soil", Start with PTO slow first pass on new area then when you pick out the big rocks and then run the PTO faster the next pass. I think the tiller was about $1k and it weighs about 400 lbs. If the Tiller bounces when it hits a rock, stop and get the big one out by hand. The tiller is chain drive in grease/oil bath and the PTO drive shaft has a shear pin on the tiller end if it really gets hooked up on a stone. Hope this helps ....

Link:   

Click Here

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login