Go Bottom Go Bottom

roots

View my Photos
cheesesteak
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-26          108793

I've recently had 10 acres cleared of very dense tree growth. I'm in the picking process now, and have gotten it down mostly to forearm sized Sweet gum roots and limestone rocks up to cantaloupe size, with ALOT of smaller roots, limbs, rocks etc. Plan is to seed for bahaia pasture.
My question is can tillers generally handle these size obsticles? ie can this be easily mulched with a 6-7' tiller behind a 57 hp tractor? Should I consider hiring a "soil stabilizer" like is used for road prep?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

roots

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-03-26          108801

I'm realy not sure what you call a "Soil Stabalizer" is, but rotary tillers don't get along too well in roots and rocks. I've tried a simalar situation, the real small roots don't bother much, but anything an inch in diamater or larger will wrap on the tiller giving you all sorts of greif. With 50 hp. or more you could pull a resonably heavy disc that would level and prepare a decent seedbed without fighting the roots. Best of luck. Frank. ....

roots

View my Photos
cheesesteak

2005-03-26          108802

Thanks for the input Hardwood- by stabilizer I mean one of those large drum tillers, Bomag is one brand I often see- it's about a 4'diameter tiller, 10-12' wide, that I see being used to grind up the roadbase after the asphalt is removed and prior to recompacting and repaving.
I am using a 1200# double offset now, and it generally stirs things up nice until those aforementioned "forearm" chunks ( the ideal size to get stuck on the disks) thus acting like a rotating depth guage set to 1"!! Sometimes they get cut in half, only to stick again later-arrgh!!
I obviously need to pay for more viewage on this site. ....

roots

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-26          108817

something on the line of a pulveriser would be in order over a tiller. You should only need the top 3-4 inches in good working condition for pasture grass. The best advice I can give is to take your time, dont rush and jump the gun on your prep work. Take the time to prepair this area and you will benifit for a long time instead of fighting the outcome of rushing to plant. ....

roots

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-27          108829

If you ask for a quote on the price of the profiler I hope you are sitting down when you get it. Ours go out on the job by the sq yard, multi day jobs, and minimun by the day, with operators.

Get a york type rake and plan on spending some time.

Many times a farmer will have a mechanical rock picker and or you could rent one. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login