Go Bottom Go Bottom

New pole barn- anyone ever build a raised wood floor

View my Photos
acroeric
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-09-08          95972

I recently purchesed a 35 acre farm and need a shop for my woodworking tools really bad. I have collected enough power poles, rough cut 2x8's, and roofing metal to construct a 24x24 building. My primary use will be the restoration of antique aircraft which are all very lightweight structures. I have cypress boards to use as on exterior walls. The building will be heated. My question is what type of flooring options do I have. I have a ton of lumber (seasoned rough cut pine 2x8 and 2x10) and would really like to do a raised wood floor similar to what I did in my small shed type building. My question is how do I attach the floor to the poles and square everything up? I really want to avoid the high cost of a concrete slab.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Archdean
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-08          95977

Find a level line around all four corners then scab a plate (your choice I would at least a 4" something or 2 rough cut 2" somethings together as this will allow for expansion ) fill the center lines with block or whatever and lay rough lumber on top of block, at 2' intervels this will give the floor support and at the proper nailing space, use nothing less than 3/4 ply or your own rough cut 2" but be prepared for a floor that will always be working and never remaining as levgel as the first day you put it down not to mention it is a moisture trap!!

I just poured 6 yards of floor mix 5 sac it was only $350.00 Delivered

Here is a link to figure your concrete needed!

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Archdean
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-08          95979

Sorry I really didn't answer your question "anyone ever build a raised wood floor" Yes i have and it is still good after 10 years, Here's how to do it:
1. use creosoted railroad ties spaced 2'on center with at least 4" inches of gravel underneath or at least above water level!! Then lay 3/4" ply or your rough cut accross the leveled ties!
Dean ....

View my Photos
acroeric

2004-09-08          95980

Dean- Thanks for the info- nice Cessna 170. I am a pilot, mechanic, IA ect. If it has a tailwheel I have probably flown it. . . never on floats though. My farm has a little 1200 ft. airstrip. After the pole barn comes the hanger.
Send me some photos of what you are talking about- I am really good with building stuff just new to pole barns and construction. ....

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-09-08          95986

This is my present project!
http://jplan.com/cgi-bin/tractor/fullThread.pl?parentnum=93772&catcode=HPB&catname=Barns%20/%20Pole%20Barns

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
grinder

2004-09-10          96105

Areoeric
Setting your poles square first is the trick,not sure if your poles are in yet? if not, get some uniform size hardwood stakes and set them in a sq. 24x24. Measure diagonal corners until they are exactly the same.You only move the stake half the distance each time.example:
you have set out a 24x24 but it measures 22x26 when checked diag. move your corner stake in 1' not two. on the 26 side
and so forth until your sq. Run a string around the bottom
a couple of inches up and set your middle poles,(stake)get a can of marker paint and paint the ground following the string.
This will keep you from loosing your ref. while setting the poles.I assume you will use a auger of some type.(know anyone will access to a power line truck with a boom to set poles?) Cut them off on top after they are set. Be sure to check them as you go with the diag. and string this will make it easier with the rest of the building. Another way to keep it sq. that I use is the 3,4,5, method.
Starting in any corner,measure 3' along your string(wall) and mark it,measure 4' along the other (wall) and mark it.
The measurement between the marks should be 5'. You can multiply this out to sq. the whole building 6,8,10, 12,16,20, in your case. I assume you would set 9 poles for a 24x24 this means one in the middle of the floor to set your carrier on.cut off at you desired hieght of bottom of the floor. You will need a transit to set the floor, as well to cut of your tops at a equal height. Mark all the
bottoms where you want your finish floor, I would leave it of the ground at least a foot to the bottom of the stringers.(air flow and crawling in to fix something.)
I would lag bolt (1/4 x6 star head with a big drill works good)a 2x10 around the perimeter on your marks. You can shim with shingles to get your desired dimesion, Do you straightest wall first and measure over to the other and shim if needed. I wouldn't worry to much about getting it perfect,just rip your last floor board to fit.
Hard to do using telephone poles, but it's a barn.
You might consider styrofoam between the floor stringers before decking over. Cut at a slight bevel on a table saw
and press in. Fiberglass insl. could hold moisture that close to the ground. Hope this helps.

View my Photos
yogesh

2023-11-02          201757

I hope this message finds you well. I am currently in the planning stages of constructing a new pole barn and considering the option of building a raised wood floor. I wanted to reach out to this knowledgeable community to gather insights and advice from those who may have experience with a similar project.

Here are a few specific points I'm interested in:

Pros and Cons: If you've built a raised wood floor for your pole barn, could you share the advantages and disadvantages you've encountered?

Materials and Techniques: What materials and construction techniques did you use for the raised wood floor? Any recommendations on the type of wood, insulation, or flooring?

Foundation Considerations: How did you handle the foundation for the raised wood floor? Were there any specific challenges or lessons learned?

Permitting and Regulations: Did you encounter any issues with permits or regulations when opting for a raised wood floor, and how did you navigate them?

Maintenance: How has the raised wood floor held up over time? Any maintenance tips or things you wish you had known before starting?

I appreciate any insights, tips, or experiences you can share. Your expertise will undoubtedly be invaluable as I embark on this exciting project. Looking forward to hearing from the community!

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login