Go Bottom Go Bottom

clutches wont line up HELP

View my Photos
famfour
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-03-23          152359

Does anyone have any suggestions for lining up the dual spline clutche on an old Ford Tractor.the clutch froze up and after cleaning it up and freeing it I cant get them to line up and marry back together.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-25          152382

You split the tractor and can't get it back together? ....

View my Photos
famfour

2008-03-25          152404

Yes someone that worked for my grandpa split it and now I need to know an easy way to line it up to put it back together please any suggestion would be appreciated ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-26          152434

Short of a old input shaft to align the pack as its tightened. You would have to come up with a make shift tool to align the splines and center to the pilot bushing. With out a regular shaft you my be in the creek with out a paddle. Maybe a dealer would let you borrow a shaft? ....

View my Photos
famfour

2008-03-26          152435

Thank you I will try that.I wittled out a piece of wood to use to align the splines ,but that didnt quite work I was wondering if it would be earier if the rear wheels were off the ground to help in aligning everything? ....

View my Photos
harvey

2008-03-27          152469

As long as the frame is square wheels on ground tractor in gear to hold input shaft from turning. You might try a couple pieces of allthread and try pulling the 2 halves together get the rear disk aligned by turning over engine, pull into the front disk MAKE SURE PIOLOT shaft thru front disk, loosen rear pressure plate while turning engine over with tools. YOU MIGHT GET IT THAT WAY. Glad I not in your shoes. NOT SURE IF THAT WILL WORK ON NOT! But it sounds like something I might try. Doing truck trannys in the school of hard knocks is a tuff way to learn about dual clutches. ....

View my Photos
famfour

2008-03-27          152497

Thank you.Not my first clutch but it is my first tractor,what a way to learn never liked putting back together what someone else took a part.Anyway I appreciate your advice. ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2008-03-28          152517

As far as aligning the splines, replacement clutch kits sometimes come with a plastic tool just for that. They are better than the univeral (non-splined) tools since they center the clutch plate as well as the spliens. You could see if the local parts store has a kit in stock and would let you borrow the alignment tool, or see if you can buy the alignment tool by itself.

For putting the tractor back together, a trick I've used on car transmissions may help. Get a couple of bolts the same size as the bellhousing bolts but a little longer. Cut off the heads, and use a hacksaw to slot the end. Use a screwdriver in the slots to turn them into the threads, you now have two guides to help line it up as you reassemble. Once in place, put a couple of bolts in the other holes, then use a screwdriver to remove your guide pins and replace them with the original bolts.

Good luck,
Bill ....

View my Photos
famfour

2008-03-28          152528

Thank you Bill I will try that this week I really appreciate all the help.
Thnx again,Crystal ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login