Go Bottom Go Bottom

New Holland 1910 How to break apart with 4WD

View my Photos
peakle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-03-08          160902

I need to replace the clutch disk in my Ford / New Holland model 1910 with 4WD. I have a shop manual, and have been following its instructions for how to break apart the tractor where the transmission meets the engine. But my manual doesn't describe what to do with the drive shaft for the 4WD. It's possible that the shaft will just disengage from the front differential when I separate the two halves of the tractor. Or maybe I have to unbolt the shaft at the drop-box (under drivers seat) and it will come apart there when I separate the two halves of the tractor -- actually I've unbolted it there, but still couldn't get the protective sleeve around the shaft to move or telescope in either direction. Has anyone done this? I'd sure appreciate any pointers -- once I get this shaft ready, I'll be able to break the tractor in half. Thanks a lot.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-08          160904

The SM I have is for a 1925. My machine is TC33D with Super Steer. So I have no idea if yours is similar. It does show that there is a section (No. 13) called Separating the Tractor---have you read that? ....

View my Photos
peakle

2009-03-08          160905

Yes, I have read the section in my shop manual about how to break apart the tractor. But unfortunately that section appears to be written for a 2WD unit and does not discuss the shaft for the 4WD so it doesn't tell how to detach that shaft (which is required in order to break it in half) :-( ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-08          160906

From what I can read the drive shaft on mine has a rubber boot held by two wire bands at the front--remove the bands and slide back the cover to expose a single retaining bolt securing the U-joint. It said you had to remove the front axle too, I suppose, to get enough room to slide the drive shaft U-joint off the splined shaft. The SM shows a similar splined shaft at the trans end too, but no text/pix on what that shaft end looks like; I suppose you may be able to remove the shaft from that end too. You may be able to disconnect the shaft without actually removing the front axle--ONLY because you would be separating the tractor and moving things away from the shaft. However---reassembling may be difficult to get everything to line up and slide together. But I'm just guessing. ....

View my Photos
peakle

2009-03-08          160911

Thanks for the comment. My 4WD shaft sounds a bit different from yours. Here's a photo of the drop-box end of the shaft (underneath drivers seat): http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp63/eakle/Tractor4WDDropBox.jpg and here is one of the other end of the shaft at the front differential http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp63/eakle/Tractor4WDFrontAxle.jpg. In the "drop-box" photo you can see the bolt that can be removed and when removed the 4wd shaft housing can be rotated (sleeve at other end of shaft does not rotate so housing rotates inside the sleeve), but I can't get the shaft housing to slide forward into the sleeve shown in the other photo. I pounded on it a bit to try to persuade it, but it didn't seem to want to slide (i.e. "telescope") forward. The front differential side of the shaft shows a sleeve with 4 bolts. This sleeve is quite rigid even with the bolts removed and I didn't want to pry it loose, as I was afraid I would damage a gasket. Do you suppose I don't need to remove any of these bolts, and when I break apart the tractor, the 4wd shaft housing will pull apart at the sleeve near the front differential (and drive-shaft end will pull out of the drop-box end)? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login