Go Bottom Go Bottom

glow plug relay on tc35da

View my Photos
trbomax
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-12-20          138235

last summer the light would flicker,and not always come on. Then it would come on after warm-up and go out. Now that its cold it never comes on and the unit wont start at temps below 30.It does still come on ocasionally after warm-up for a few seconds. Whats up ?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
trbomax

2006-12-20          138236

another odd thing ,about the same time the cruise control quit working too. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-12-21          138267

I've got a TC33D with he same glow plug problem. Bought a new relay but haven't installed it. Cruise control works fine. Does yours have a magnet that grabs a flat surface near the steering column? If so the wearing surface might be dirty, or possibly the cable is sticking. ....

View my Photos
trbomax

2006-12-22          138276

Magnet on the column ? My cruise is just a toggel switch on the right fender. Where is the relay located anyway and how much are they ? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-12-24          138323

Keep in mind my 33D is different that yours but...the relay is under the right hand side cowling next to the steering wheel column. I paid about $18 plus shipping, and the dealer suggested I go to a regular autoparts to buy it but I wanted to be sure it was the right one.

Mine works by a toggle switch on the dash, and goes through relay as whenever I touch the left brake it disconnects. The magnet is located on a lever on the steering column lower portion connected to the foot pedal linkage. It keeps the pedal at a certain position. It more or less a lock for the hydro pedal. Because it's a magnet and not a positive stop like a sliding pin-in-a-hole, it can be overridden if you press hard enough on the go pedal.

It looks and works like a trailer axle electric brake magnet or "puck". When the cruise is not on I can hear the magnet slightly grazing the flat plate. When turned on, the magnet grips the plate and in doing so prevents the go pedal from moving. It's a simple but effective set up. If yours is similar to mine, I'd check the fuse, the switch , relay and see if there's power to the magnet. If the magnet has power, see if the plate is dirty or rusted. It should be clean to make the magnet grip properly IMHO. ....

View my Photos
trbomax

2006-12-26          138347

Can you post the p/n for that glow plug relay ?I went to the dealer today in Traverse city with a pic of my relay panel so that I could buy one and they could show me which one it is. Basically they told me if I could bring it in they would look at it.Then I ask just to buy the relay and I'll figure out where it goes,but they didnt know if they had one and just couldn't find the p/n in the parts list .I will truck the unit 300 miles back to Ohio where I bought it before I'll ever go back there.I bought it in Oh when we lived there,then moved up here. Guess I should have bought a new tractor when I moved ??? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-12-26          138349

It doesn't make sense to give you the relay P/N for mine as we have totally different machines.

That said, if you have time, go to the link below and go to New Holland parts and the go through the required progressive steps to find your part (it can take awhile to load---I have wireless internet wich can be slow).

It's got the same pictures and (basic) info the dealers have. And with a "click" you can order directly from the website with a credit card. They're in Penn. 1500 miles away from me but I haven't found a dealer that can match their service---ESPECIALLY the local ones (total dumbasses--and that's their good point!) I've bought about a grand worth of parts from them and they have always been great to deal with. My guy at the parts desk I like to use is Ed Hughes. And he uses e-mail to let you know part status too. Tell him Jeff Ordway from Earthwerks Unlimited in Mississipi sent you. If you are new to the TP board, Tony aka "Oneace" used to work there as a technician. ....

View my Photos
trbomax

2006-12-28          138375

Well,I finally just did what I should have in the first place. I called the dealer in ohio where I bought it,he said they just fixed a tc35da last week that was doing the same thing.He is overnighting me a controller,Ill stuff it in this afternoon and see what happens.I just dont understand the mentality of some of the people up here though. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2006-12-28          138378

The two machines use the same relay for the glow plugs. In fact they have the same engine also. ....

View my Photos
trbomax

2006-12-28          138387

Well,Fed X was here at 11am,tractor was running at 11:30.Horses are happy,I'm happy. ....

View my Photos
CraigW

2007-01-01          138422

Was it the control unit that you replaced or was it the glow plug relay switch? I'm having the same problem on my TC45D and I want to order the right part. Thank you. ....

View my Photos
CraigW

2007-01-07          138529

I ended up replacing the glow plug "controller". It works great now. :) ....

View my Photos
rogerson

2007-01-28          139279

I recently had to change the glow plug relay on my NH TC45D. It was a 30 minute repair. Remove left cover below dash, unplug, unbolt (one bolt) and reverse proceedure. Had same problem. Glow plugs would work intermittantly and then the glow plug light would flash on and off during normal operation. I don't know if it made any difference, but my NH tech suggested disconnecting the battery while changing relay.
The part number for a TC35D, TC40D or TC45D is SBA385870300, The part number for a TC35, TC40 or TC45 is SBA385870500. The difference being the D or Deluxe units glow for 5 seconds while the standard unit glows for 10 seconds. ....

View my Photos
rogerson

2007-01-28          139280

The part number for the Glow Plug Relay for a TC45D is SBA385870300. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-01-28          139286

Roger: How did you find out about the time difference? Seems counterintuitive that, assuming the machines all have the same basic motor as Oneace says, that having a "D" would cut the time in half. Logic says they would all have the same on-time, no?

I'm all ears! :)

(and yes, I've been told I'm all wet too.) ....

View my Photos
rogerson

2007-01-29          139292

Apparently according to where I bought the part, the "D" ie TC45D stands for "Deluxe" while a TC45 is not deluxe. It may be the same motor, but according to the service bulletin that he faxed me the "D"'s have a different glow plug in them, resulting in quicker warming and hence requiring a shorter glow period, thus a different relay. Call your dealer and they should be able to fax you the information from the service manual. Also you can look up any part number on-line through newholland.com and it will show you two different relays based on model number.

The service bulletin shows you how to test the relay, but given that this is the only switch between the ignition and the glow plugs, if it isn't timing correctly where else could the problem exist? So instead of running the jumpers to do the simple test, I simply changed the unit, end of problem and end of story. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login