Go Bottom Go Bottom

D1600

View my Photos
Walt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-10-21          8988

I just bought a D1600 and 5 tools. To me the engine is a little noisy, it sounds like it is coming from the top of the engine. It doesn't matter it if is hot or cold. It does diminish at higher rpm's. Is this normal for the 2 cylinder diesel? Also the sticker under the hood says to use SAE 80 in the trans, but the guy I bought it from was using hydraulic fluid. I changed the fluid and cleanded the screen, I used some heavy duty hydraulic fluid, they had some 80w90 but I was afraid this might be too heavy, any thoughts? Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

D1600

View my Photos
Mark Dominesey

2001-03-28          25997

I was in the same position with my D2300. The lift absolutely would not work with tractor hydraulic oil. It worked only when the temp outside was REALLY cold, and then only slowly with no strength. I finally found a manual and discovered that it specified SAE 80 oil. I put 80w90 in it and have been happy ever since, it works beautifully now. Get rid of that thin oil.

MD

D1600

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-03-28          26021

Congrats on your new tractor. Yes, two cylinder diesels have a characteristic ring to them. It can sound like a hammer on an anvil. If it doesn't change much with RPM or load then it is typical. Mine has done it for almost 20 years. Using a different fuel seems to have some effect. Also, lots of tractors have a common transmission and hydraulic oil. There is a special oil just for that purpose and everything that I know of uses it. Go to a farm store and ask for a Universal Trans/Hydraulic oil. Types compatible with JD 303 are the most common. ....

D1600

View my Photos
PETE B.

2003-02-20          49614

ISNT THE TRANS OIL AND HYDRAULIC OIL THE SAME,DOESNT THE PUMP GET THE OIL FROM THE GEAR BOX? THANKS... PETE ....

D1600

View my Photos
BillRodgers

2003-02-24          49893

Pete - the transmission and hydraulics share the same reservoir and fluid. Use tractor hydraulic oil not gear oil. I can't explain the sucess the fellow with the D3200 had using gear oil but the proper oil is hydraulic oil. We've seen this misinformation on all the Satoh's and Mitsubishi's we've sold over the last 20 years. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login