Go Bottom Go Bottom

inverting the front rims for stability

View my Photos
mrtractorman2000
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-04-29          128573

I just purchased a MT1601D 4wd tractor with a loader. Is there any reason why I cant invert the front rims so I have a little more stability using the loader. Does anyone have any experience doing this.
Thanks
Js.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-30          128589

The front axle pivots side to side in the middle. Widening it's stance will have little effect on stability. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-30          128604

Making the front axle width wider has no appreciable effect on frontend stability. Reason being the loader is connected to the rear axle through the tractor itself---that's where you need stability and weight to counter the weight of the loader and load. Whether you have a wide the axle or narrow, the pivot point remains the same; it's at the center of the front axle which forms a triangle with the rear tires. (Picture if you will a child's teeter-totter--no matter how long or short you make it it still pivots at the same place so niether end is more stable than the other). The only way to get more stability from a wider axle is by having an adjustable, stiff member (such as a hydraulic cylinder) making the pivot point ridgid so that the frame and axle cannot move, similar to waht is found on an off-road telehandler. Also changing the rims around will increase the design load at the bearings and all the other front end parts.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login