Go Bottom Go Bottom

Long 350 fire

View my Photos
cupofjoe
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2015-04-22          192629

Worked on friends Long 350 -1976 issues - had electrical fire - burned up engine harness- partially cause by short and leaking injector pump. rebuilt wiring- replaced injection pump-replaced lift pump-and two fuel lines(all damaged) read manual on injection pump removal careful about timing gear position
Solution drift pin mark injector pump flange and timing cover position take a picture of it with your iphone camera etc. follow the instructions in the manual except for re-timing oh yeah be careful when you use the jacking screw in the face of the timing gear ( it pushes back against the pump) got to make sure you have loosened the pump first

just before you install the new injector pump align the key way carefully to the timing gear in the timing case - don't remove the injection pump gear- make sure it doesn't move - it will stay in place if you don't knock it out of there -holding the gear in place and supporting the pump slip the keyed shaft of the injector pump carefully into the gear, make sure you didn't move it - re-syncing is a challenge (if you are careful you won't have to re-time it)
line up the drift pin marks on the flange. tighten the nuts and like everyone has said here tighten up
all fittings, then bleed down the system treat it like its a brake system -got to take the air out of it -the injector pump has at lest two bleeders you can use, then move up the system bleeding up ward to the injectors(you can pump fuel manually with the lift pump lever -bottom of lift pump) take your time do it right, or there wont enough pressure to open the injectors when you try to start--

The Long 350 is running fine now , real smooth - well smooth for a 3 cyl anyway. I know will have to replace the starter but thats another day.

jgc

What should I do with the old pump ?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Long 350 fire

View my Photos
shilpert
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2015-04-22          192632

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjoe | view 192629
Worked on friends Long 350 -1976 issues - had electrical fire - burned up engine harness- partially cause by short and leaking injector pump. rebuilt wiring- replaced injection pump-replaced lift pump-and two fuel lines(all damaged) read manual on injection pump removal careful about timing gear position Solutiondrift pin mark injector pump flange and timing cover positiontake a picture of it with your iphonecamera etc. follow the instructions in the manual except for re-timing oh yeah be careful when you use the jacking screw in the face of the timing gear ( it pushes back against the pump) got to make sure you have loosened the pump first just before you install the new injector pump align the key way carefully to the timing gear in the timing case - don't remove the injection pump gear- make sure it doesn't move - it will stay in place if you don't knock it out of there -holding the gear in place and supporting the pump slip the keyed shaft of the injector pump carefully into the gear, make sure you didn't move it - re-syncing is a challenge (if you are careful you won't have to re-time it)line up the drift pin marks on the flange. tighten the nutsand like everyone has said here tightenupall fittings, then bleed down the system treat it like its a brake system -got to take the air out of it -the injector pump has at lest two bleeders you can use, then move up the system bleeding up ward to the injectors(you can pump fuel manually with the lift pump lever -bottom of lift pump) take your time do it right, or there wont enough pressure to open the injectors when you try to start-- The Long 350 is running fine now , real smooth - well smooth for a 3 cyl anyway. I know will have to replace the starter but thats another day.jgcWhat should I do with the old pump ?

Hit me up if you need a starter. I bough a new one from Romania and turns out I didn't need it. The one I have is for a 550. I'm not sure it'll be compatible but if it is I'll give you a deal. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login