Go Bottom Go Bottom

adding lights

View my Photos
KIOTIMAN
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-03          46913

Question has anyone added rear lights or put a light mount on there ROPS. I want to do this so when plowing at night I would have better rear vision, but thought of putting lights on the ROPS so i could also rotate them forward. thoughts and opinions please?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

adding lights

View my Photos
larry

2003-01-03          46916

I would think that the setup would be fine on the ROPS
I was thinking of doing the same with my Cub but haven't found the right lights yet ....

adding lights

View my Photos
TomG

2003-01-04          46930

Most tractor stores carry generic 55w work lights that have their own switches. The lamps come in three beam-widths. There's some basic electrical and safety knowledge required, but it's a fairly simple job to wire a circuit into an existing accessory outlet or from the battery through an in-line fuse.

Most generic lights come with swing mountings that could be faced front or back if mounted on top the ROPS bar. That would increase the headroom needed though. I might be easier to mount two lights to save the trouble having to adjust a light when changing directions. The lights aren't expensive and a 10A circuit would run two of them.

Any drilling or welding on an ROPS may void warranties and insurance. People have used plastic tie straps or hose clamps. Myself, I found that the light mounting stubs fit neatly in the 1/2" knock-outs on standard house wiring junction boxes. I screwed junction boxes to the bottom of my steel canopy near the front and back edge. The lights swing mostly underneath the canopy when not in use. I did forget to swing them down once and almost took off a light on a low branch.

adding lights

View my Photos
JohnNWA

2003-01-07          47090

With regards to lighting up the night for plowing I am using a pair of Hella Ultra Beam FF(heavy duty) work lamps. They are actually replacing a cheaper set that I had previously installed. The cheaper lights were 55 watters and were just that, cheaper and much larger(4.5 x 7"). The Hella lights are far superior in construction as well as illumination. They measure only 4x4". Extremelly well sealed from the weather and well dampened from vibration with rubber mounting bushings. They are compact, powerful and look great. The downside is that they are pricey, about $60 per light. My old lamps were about $30 for the pair. If construction quality and performance are more important than price, check these out. You can even purchase a model with a handle. Check for prices at your local auto accessory shop or HellaUSA.com. The part number is 90660 or 90664.
With regard to placement, I mounted them to a 24" steel L bracket that is bolted to, and runs along the rear face of the top of my ROPS. Yes, I did bolt the L bracket to my ROPS which probably voids its warranty; however, I do not believe the two small holes that I drilled for the bracket will effect the structural integrity of the ROPS. Maybe I was foolish to do so but I am extremely safety conscience and always try to operate my machine so that I will never have to rely upon my ROPS anyway.
My machine(JD 4400) came equiped with mounts for my rear work lamps. You could; however, mount a light or two facing front, and some to the rear of an L bracket. Your local welding/fabrication shop may be able to assist you with a design for minimal cost. Just food for thought.
I will point out that lighting above and behind the operator you may find annoying if used in the warmer weather as they attract insects. Not a problem in the winter. Hope this helps in your decision making.
I am brand new to this site and I find that there is a wealth of great advice here. Great site!!! ....

adding lights

View my Photos
KIOTIMAN

2003-01-08          47171

update, i installed a 100 watt work light, that has an off/on switch right on it. My tractor had an extra set of wires for this work light so all i had to do was make connections. The light works really well, especially helpful when plowing snow at night. I am still leaning on putting a forward light on the rops. Thanks for the replies. ....

adding lights

View my Photos
TomG

2003-01-09          47208

A 100W light draws almost 9A. I'd check the fuse the light is on. If it's 15A, the circuit might carry a 100A and a 55W light on at the same time but it wouldn't carry 2 100W lights.

The comment about rubber shock mountings is good. I don't have them and I did blow a light after very little service.

adding lights

View my Photos
KIOTIMAN

2003-01-13          47443

i just mounted one light, with the 100 watts it provides ample lighting, especially with the tail lights on. i did install some rubber washers, and it does help with the shaking or vibration.Just a note after doing this two guys I work with have installed lights for the rear of thei tractors now. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login