Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD-820 920 Utility Tractor Power Steering woes

View my Photos
Mark
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-09-15          8019

Hi. I am looking at a used JD-920 Utility Tractor. I have researched this and believe that the 920 is a Canadian version of the JD-820 ('68-75). I was wondering how you can visually tell if the tractor is equipped with Power Steering? The tractor I am looking at is without PS and would appear to be non-functioning (steers really hard). Based on my research thus far, I believe this model tractor 820/920 has the PS built internal into the center of the tractor. (internal to the transmission housing). Was wondering if anyone could give any pointers on how to detrmine if this tractor has Power Steering and how involved any repairs might be? Also, does anyone know if a manual steering 820/920 tractor can be aftermarket converted to have PS? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!RegardsMark

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD-820 920 Utility Tractor Power Steering woes

View my Photos
Ken Day
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-09-16          8037

If the tractor has power steering, you will see a hydralic cylinder attached to the steering mechinism at the front of the tractor. The pump may be internal to the transmission, but the cylinder is what actually provides the assist in the steering. Most compact tractors have an option for ps. It can usually be installed on a tractor after purchase. I used to have a jd 650 that didn't have ps. on it, but for a few hundred dollars it was available from the dealer to be retrofitted. It makes a big difference when you have a loader on the tractor. Other times it's nice but not a must, unless you have a large , heavy tractor. Hope this helps. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login